Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think the map is imbalanced in favor of Dark Force
Hi. I'm new around here. Only registered to post about this issue.

My friends and I have been playing Battle Tanks for a few months now. We only do IH games over LAN. Lately, since we've all gotten better I have noticed that all of our games go to Dark Force. There are a few reasons that have to do with the map itself I can see for this.

1. Top Lane

There is a ramp leading from the Dark Force control point that goes parralel to the lane. A ground tank can use this ramp to pull incoming Light Force creeps safely towards his control point. This allows him to take more of the creeps kills because his creeps will either not aggro or have trouble getting in range. It also puts his own creeps in between him and his lane opponent. I noticed that there is no equivolent terrain advantage for Light force on Bottom Lane.

2. Mid Lane

Every game Dark Force pushes past the middle shop and people on Light Force who want to buy stuff there usually have to suicide. I don't know what causes it. This is a huge issue for us because we rarely have a 5v5. With less people, the overall push advantage Dark Force gets makes it impossible for Light Force to win. I think it's still a problem for 5v5 but much less noticable.
I agree with both ones.
Trolololo
Interesting. I agree on the first point. Good point, maybe Exodus should look at it when he has free time from his hard studies.

However the second point may vary. However this doesn't prevent the light force from winning. The natural camera view gives the dark force players minimal benefit, and I rarely see ppl using the -angle command. Even if you using it, the ugliness if the units backsides and shadows is probably distracting you, until you get used to it.
Hehe...
Don't say a marine is not important! It can cause a ripple effect.
Marine kills player shopping at mid>Player cant buy favorite weapon>plays bad>"Kaboom... Where is the kaboom?"

Have you noticed that always a marine survives at top and down sides because of ramp cause other marines to miss. I always kill that single marine. 12 gold is 12 goldSmile
Trolololo
Like I said, it's not nearly as significant in 5v5, but our 3v3 games go to Dark Force every single time.

To me, the top lane thing seems significant even in 5v5 because it really helps whoever lanes top for Dark Force if they use it. It can be fixed by changing bottom lane so that there's a safe path to the side for Light Force to pull creeps towards the command point.
I can partly agree to the first point, even tho i think it's not really significant, even in 3v3.

I don't think the 2nd alleged imbaness is true in any way.
Prog Wrote:I can partly agree to the first point, even tho i think it's not really significant, even in 3v3.

I don't think the 2nd alleged imbaness is true in any way.

I agree hmm but it never decides a game to me but it should be a neutral to both forces
Cat power < needs to be implemented into btSmile
Accounts are : , Imba_Kitten, DJ.FM,BENNIE.FM
Top lane imbalance is very true. usually don't take top so I don't care, or i go air tank, but a guy on top with long range can easily pull all the troops and run to his cp and make it very hard for the opponent to push on the cp, even though he's just sitting there basically. Not sure about the second point, thought it is pretty symmetrical in the middle, maybe the entrances are a little off but that doesnt account for much. One thing you might want to do is play both sides equally. I used to always play against the host and switching views can change your play until youre used to it.
Share the love in the unknown. Only way to understand (understatement) (wink). -Bang Bang in Blindingly Brilliant Bliss because of benevolent beneficiary being belonging 'bove, always, love...
I fully agree to the first point. If I random antigrav I usally play lane. I also take the top lane and if I got Dark Force I creeps really good - too good with low range Antigrav.
To the second point - I seldom take weapons from middle at the beginning and for fighting I think they are nearly equal, but maybe I should take a closer look.Smile
Random Player
- noob, nobody, medium, pro - we will see what happens ^^
I'm thinking that the map should be completly mirrored to elimiate these type of advantages. Yes, it's not quite as pretty, but it's worth it for balance. It's a handicap enough to have play on the light forces do to unfamiliarity with that side, if anything dark forces should be handicapped a little to make up for that.
Btanks fan since version 4US
I don't know why it happened by I can fix it!
i can't believe no one's mentioned any of these...

hasn't anyone noticed light force DOES have a few little quirky equalizers?

they get the grey slot which if taken makes the grey player really, really, really, hard to see on the minimap when he's in his own base.

Also, this could be jsut a problem for me since my computer is so old and unable to process pathing fast enough, but the dark force mid contorl point is really annoying to me because whenever I click to move from the top left corner to the bottom left corner of it with a ground tank when no enemy is nearby i can move around fine. however, if an enemy tank is nearby then EVERYTIME my tank starts jittering back and forth like it's retarded or something and then finally goes the long way around (ofthen this results in my death).

i'm not sure but i think the same thing uccurs around the dark forces bottom right corner of the bottom control point when moving from the top right to bottom right. However, I don't usually get attacked from the top left from there so it's rare that, that becomes an issue.

The light force bottom control point is, in my opinion, more easily attacked with air than any other control point since there is a very wide unpathable area just below it which is the perfect place to attack it with air anyways since it's in a direct line between the two bottom control points and adjacent to the lane which provides creep cover. Also, that Control point has 3 different ground entrances from all sides which
makes it even more vulnerable.

It could be said that it's a big advantage for the dark force since they usually have the host who gets 0 delay advantage unless he goes to light force which is rare.

has anyone ever noticed this? There is a small ledge with some boxes and a flag just up and to the right of the light force's mid control point. Once again, if i click to move there with SOME ground tanks (some ground tanks don't have a problem there though) then i can do so when no enemies are around. but if i try to go up that ramp when an enemie's nearbi then i start to jitter back and forth again.

Some of the side lane force cannon towers are able to be stunned by the goblin schredder and goblin tank and can be attacked directly with goblin riots and some aren't. I've never really checked this but there might be an imbalance there too.

All these tiny little imballances could be fixed but I would prefer that they are left the way they are since they are just small advantage for me over other players who don't know about them.

**edit** it seems like i get pathing isues wherever those barrels are in the cps. i never noticed the connection before now though.
Why's the rothchild family crest and the illuminati symbol on my 1 dollar bill? Why do rich and powerful American "christian" leaders have gay sex and worship a giant 40 foot stone owl at Beach Grove every year? Why doesn't anyone care?
Icono Wrote:I'm thinking that the map should be completly mirrored to elimiate these type of advantages. Yes, it's not quite as pretty, but it's worth it for balance. It's a handicap enough to have play on the light forces do to unfamiliarity with that side, if anything dark forces should be handicapped a little to make up for that.

Yes, the map should be the same on both sides, but I disagree that Dark Force should have a disadvantage. Personally being on one side doesn't affect my play besides the tactical advantage that Dark Force top currently has. I'd just like to see that on Light Force bottom lane.
A completly mirrored map has it's aesthetical disadvantages, so i don't want to see that.
i see an other disadvantage for the darkforce:
if you click really fast and unaccurate to move your tank (air or ground, no difference)
back for some heal it sometimes happens (to me) that i click the upperleft corner in the minimap,
which makes my tank turn around into suicide
same if u want to port in left/down direction (i use zoom 3750)
qweq brought up some good points. I always go gray or sometimes light blue for exactly the reason he said. Right about light force bot being slightly more easy to attack with air too. I agree with inder though, I don't really want to see any changes besides maybe the original top lane thing, but these are all very minor.
Share the love in the unknown. Only way to understand (understatement) (wink). -Bang Bang in Blindingly Brilliant Bliss because of benevolent beneficiary being belonging 'bove, always, love...
Well the only actual imbalances imo are the two I originally mentioned in my post. I've got no problems seeing LB or Grey on the map, I don't experience any of those moving problems you guys are talking about. I think those are not universal to all players.
Well being Gray really does make you harder to see, but it's only a minuscule advantage. All it means it that it occasionally takes you a second glance to find
some of these advantages are odd...lol hmm
Cat power < needs to be implemented into btSmile
Accounts are : , Imba_Kitten, DJ.FM,BENNIE.FM
well i don't think a change is needed here.
because both sides have some minor advantages and disadvantages
The map won't be made to be completely symmetrical on both sides. But I changed the terrain around both lane CPs of the Light Force, to make them more similiar to the Dark Force ones.

But I can't understand the complaint about the mid lane, as the mid is completely the same for both sides.
This post has been brought to you by Sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Double Mech Still Imbalanced griffin1987 0 1,673 2011-11-19, 22:57:36
Last Post: griffin1987
  4 vs 5 --- 4 Player team imbalanced? StendekX 5 5,108 2010-12-06, 21:58:28
Last Post: mooneye
  Hail of bombs imbalanced griffin1987 49 27,570 2010-10-05, 16:19:11
Last Post: UnifiedDoom
  dark force secondary tank factory is too far benben10 2 1,929 2009-04-08, 11:24:19
Last Post: ChronicStoned
  Force Kills DerSatan 5 3,053 2008-03-14, 11:40:09
Last Post: horselance