Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tank bounty depending on time of last death
(2012-03-14, 16:30:14)Prog Wrote: 1. The ability to get ahead by better play will be affected (limited).
This is true only for feeders. You actually get ahead if you kill your enemy every few minutes, it just won't help you to kill him even more often. In that case, you may want to change the lane and fight a real enemy or something like that. Actually better play should work throughout the game, not depending on the money you collected early.

(2012-03-14, 16:30:14)Prog Wrote: 2. Gamelength will increase.
Probably, but increasing the base bounty would change this. A 10% higher bounty should already be enough. On the other hand, players may be a bit more aggressive now (unlikely) and shorten the game. However, this can easily be fixed.

(2012-03-14, 16:30:14)Prog Wrote: Also there is the general worry about "caring for the worst". Why should there be anything that makes it easier for the worse player to keep up with the better player? I don't know any game or sport which does something like that. Just imagine a soccer game where goals would count less if the goalkeeper is bad and therefore there had been already 5 goals scored in the last 20 minutes. That is intuitively ridiculous. Btanks, in ranked games or tournament games that is, are in a similar fashion a competitive environment. The better way to handle it, however, is to create a non-competitive, additional environment (qualify? Novice?), where this worry does not hold.
Soccer is an extremely bad example. I don't know how to project battle tanks onto soccer, but that would be comparable to a rule, that with every goal one team scores, one opponent has to leave. I mean, in Battle Tanks you build up your situation like in an RTS, unlike a shooter or soccer, where your strength just depends on your skill, not on the situation you brought yourself into. And exactly this "making strong players even stronger" isn't the best, even for tournaments. Besides that, the effect on normal games shouldn't be too big, it only changes something if a player is dying really rapidly. And I think this won't happen in a ranked game too often. I can only think of tinkers as a problem, but in fact suiciding with a tinker won't help either, since you have to pay money for the CPTP and get excluded from the game (gold and xp) for some time.

Ah, and the reason why? I think you don't know that side of the game too good, you are probably a good player and rarely in that situation where you feel like you can do nothing about the game. Battle Tanks should still be fun, and at best for all players.

(2012-03-14, 16:30:14)Prog Wrote: Kicking is a different problem and I don't see why we should implement mechanics which work against the principles of competition just to get rid of unnecessary kicks. I'd rather just get rid of the kick function (again).
Because kicking represents the mood in which the players are in such a situation. If they were happy having a good time in that game, they would not think about kicking a player, or insulting them and so on. Kicking is just a symptom. Removing the kick-function is theoretically okay, but in rare cases players may really suicide into the enemies all the time, because they are in a fight with their team. I think it's okay to kick a player, if the whole team wants it, and maybe one enemy. Whatever, that's not the topic.

And honestly, nobody can really say what this change would bring to BT, it's a bit dangerous of course. In fact, the habit of players used to the game not wanting any greater changes made me leave BT in the first place. Progress is always a risk. And by the way, we should try to see the situation from other points of view, not only our own. It's not about making the map most fun for yourself, it is about making it most fun for all players. And noobs won't come around here, but without noobs learning the game, there won't be any new players. Don't know, I mean changing the bounty for those noobs won't help them themselves, but maybe they are accepted then and encouraged to play. I am pretty sure I would not like to learn to play BT if my first game looked like the average feeder hating in a qualify game. And there are nearly no other open BT games. And playing against bots is no option either, since only very few players really plan what they want to play online some day, they simply want it now. And don't misunderstand me, I am not trying to fix this with that bounty change, it's just the general attitude which led into this situation and which is the same now standing against the bounty change.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tank bounty depending on time of last death - by Bob666 - 2012-03-14, 17:45:59

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  crazywolf777 Tank Ideas crazywolf777 2 3,570 2014-01-24, 11:04:12
Last Post: crazywolf777
  it is time for us to get a radar van / tank 091846 2 3,690 2013-07-11, 17:15:29
Last Post: 091846
  Exploder tank Max 7 7,432 2013-04-29, 02:26:29
Last Post: gozo1985
  New Tank: Siege Tank TKF 1 4,579 2013-02-27, 08:08:35
Last Post: AeroniumX
  Buff Goblin Tank UnifiedDoom 19 15,859 2012-07-16, 15:06:23
Last Post: Teo_live