Poll: 10/10 - Would play.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Definitely.
100.00%
5 100.00%
Not Really.
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Btanks standalone in Unity engine Week 1
Just to let u guys know, i m also a big fan of Btanks and am starting the project. Currently we have 2 ppl on the scene and 1 superduper programmer who ll make things work smooth.
This is the 1 st week of the process and we are eager to work on this. after installing the Unity3d engine and all the game art software necessary we are set and ready to go :D

1 st thoughts on this are: - this is going to be an engaging process and after my initial reconneissance this will take up to 5-6 maybe more(probably) months to complete.
I am not hiding the fact that some help will be needed in the nearest future with : model making, sound making and probably some other things that aren't currently on my mind SO:
- if any of u hardcore fans who don't have much to worry about, alot of free time and never-surrender spirit but who also have dreams of seeing Btanks rise would like to get engaged- feel free to do so and lets make contact via this forum firstly. If u have alot of free time, i mean alot, but no skills in 3D design or game art creation- no worries u ll start from tutorials of which we have abundance of on the internets. example : i myself have only 100 tutorials on Blender itself thus, knowing the basic skills and having the proper skillset i am able to create rocks and other simple models- u name it.

Unity3D is a very powerful program which enables us to collect all the art , models, physix and sounds, mangle with them, create servers(as it will be a MMO MOBA game) and in the end complete a game. All the programs we will be using in the nearest future are free for commercial purpouses, so nothing stands in our way to complete this project. 

Btanks is a splendid game with so many unique solutions to it that it is sure to gather alot of new players, not to mention the fanbase which is existent here on W3 tft.

I am currently working on creating the Heightmap- next step will be creating textures like grass, sand, etc. in "GIMP"
next we will be working on 3D models in "Blender"- this is going to be alot of work and this is the part where You come in.
We will be making sounds and animations later.

The core physics of the game are simple and easy to create, in some months time, when starting things up, we could also need some mods to maintain the WWW page.

I've posted some time ago, like a year or two, that i ll start engaging into the project but things went other ways. This time its either DO or DIE and noone will be abandoning the creation of Btanks standalone. The determination is real and we have already decided and worked things out so that we only stop upon completion. I' ll regurarily be updating our status from now on, on how the works are progressing with images maybe and on the problems we encounter. I also hope to get some help from You guys in the nearest future.

Just like some, we are just a group of NEET's(not the programmer guy xD), but - with the economic situation stabilized, the proper spirit added and proper ambitions rooted we want to gain knowledge and skills, thus- nothing is undoable.
     After finishing this post I am going back to my usual day from now on- that is 16 hours per day by my computer-until its done. All help is appreciated.

PS.  i dont know if anyone has already started their work on such a project so if You have post a link please.

Izumi
Hey,

I'm always pleased to see that people are passionate enough about this game, that they want to see it expand to other platforms and are not afraid to even do it themselves. This sure is an ambitious project, especially when you are still unexperienced (I was too, when I started with BT ;) ).

I have one important remark to make:
(2015-09-03, 14:10:24)Izumi Wrote: this is going to be an engaging process and after my initial reconneissance this will take up to 5-6 maybe more(probably) months to complete.

I'd say that this is about how much time you'll need, until you can present a first playable beta. For the complete project, I'd reckon it would take 3-4 times of that time (which I'd still consider a fairly positive estimate).
I'm not saying this to discourage you, I just want to put everything into perspective and make that you know what is coming.

As I said, this is a very ambitious project, but when you are passionate enough, you can achieve a lot.

I wish you good luck with this project, I'll be following it closely. I can't help you with the work, as I don't have that much time, but if you have any questions, just ask!
This post has been brought to you by Sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.
thanks for the support I appreciate it very much.

I know its going to be alot of work but i think i m accustomed to starting off as a loser and gaining experience as i go, this kind of this winds me up ^^ I just like to put thousands of hours into sthBig Grin working on trees atm.
for starters be sure to visit the Assist Store, there are quite the amount of free models ranging from environment (trees, stones, skybox) to units (soldiers, vehicles, aircrafts). if you've got your system well designed then you'll only need to change the model of the Prefab later on, maybe slightly changed pre-defined variables.

unity is easy, but it's usage of C# isn't the best on terms of performance and while its Physic Engine is quite good, i would recommend building your own, since those atomic functions tend to be quite slow and buggy at times.
Not yet totally dead, you can find the Team and possibly new and old Players on our new Discord Server. Join by this Instant Invite: https://discord.gg/FbbGbHj
maybe You are right about that performance thingy though i haven't tested it myself so i' ll never know until its too lateBig Grin i didnt like the things in the asset store.. well maybe the trees as they are a bit hard to make. As for the tank models.. they are pretty simple and not hard to make imho after 15 h of modeling i made myself a scoutBig Grin took soo long as it was my 1 st finished model so far A^^ next in line for tomorrow is Medivac and Ligh Tank.

maybe i didn't notice but is there a attach file option somewhere in posting replies?
if you are to use the reply button inbstead of the "Quick Repy", then you should see an option to add an attachement.

on another note, don't use the build in path finding algorithm. it's usefulness drops the instance you want some dynamic path finding instead of some pre-defined pathes.
Not yet totally dead, you can find the Team and possibly new and old Players on our new Discord Server. Join by this Instant Invite: https://discord.gg/FbbGbHj
(2015-09-05, 23:58:50)Izumi Wrote: maybe You are right about that performance thingy though i haven't tested it myself so i' ll never know until its too lateBig Grin i didnt like the things in the asset store.. well maybe the trees as they are a bit hard to make. As for the tank models.. they are pretty simple and not hard to make imho after 15 h of modeling i made myself a scoutBig Grin took soo long as it was my 1 st finished  model so far A^^ next in line for tomorrow is Medivac and Ligh Tank.

maybe i didn't notice but is there a attach file option somewhere in posting replies?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Good stuff keep it up looks promising only if there was more then 24 hours in a daySmile
Cat power < needs to be implemented into btSmile
Accounts are : , Imba_Kitten, DJ.FM,BENNIE.FM
(2015-09-06, 11:26:36)BENNIE.FM Wrote: Good stuff keep it up looks promising only if there was more then 24 hours in a daySmile

ye .. i wish the day had more than 24 hours, currently me and my bro sit from 6 to 12 per day thats 16 hours daily absorbing knowledge of all sort ^^. in 3 or 4 weeks i ll be setting up a Kickstarter page
(2015-09-06, 08:53:48)Izumi Wrote:
(2015-09-05, 23:58:50)Izumi Wrote: maybe You are right about that performance thingy though i haven't tested it myself so i' ll never know until its too lateBig Grin i didnt like the things in the asset store.. well maybe the trees as they are a bit hard to make. As for the tank models.. they are pretty simple and not hard to make imho after 15 h of modeling i made myself a scoutBig Grin took soo long as it was my 1 st finished  model so far A^^ next in line for tomorrow is Medivac and Ligh Tank.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Awesome.
keep it going on : D
Gustave Le Bon "... Die Einseitigkeit und Überschwänglichkeit der Gefühle der Massen bewahren sie vor Zweifel und Ungewissheit. Den Frauen gleich gehen sie sofort bis zum Äußersten. ...".
hey izumi! i`m a 3d modeller, with a bit of animation experience.  If you need any help with the models just tell me what i can help you with and i`ll do my best to make it fast, qualitative, and efficient.

Right now i`m working with a friend on a dota 2 mod port of battle tanks.. but we are only at the beginning, and we can easily switch sides if this variant has more potential. I`m the modeler, he`s the coder.

Here`s a sample of one of my recent work:

imgur.com/TZhA8rj

Unfortunately my forum status does not allow me to post links, so you will have to follow the address the old-fasioned way.
Guys,
After giving it some thought.. it would actually be doable , but the question was: Do we want to spend 2 years of our lifes recreating Btanks? Well if u spend so much time on recreating the same models as in Warcraft III You begin to think. And so mission aborted. Btanks are great here on Warcraft III tft and they would surely be good somewhere else, but its still creating the almost exact game, and that is .. boring, not exciting enough. Even though it still is a good idea for commercial purpouses- we were not after the money. And so we are moving on to making 2.5D MMORPG games. Better to realise this sooner than later i guess.

All the best guys and sorry for the confusion.
At least you were honest enough to tell us when you stop, those before you just vanished. I'm not surprised though, I've seen this play out exactly this way too often already.
quite a shame you already dropped the project. you might have given the models to much attention. most of BT is their systems about weapon firing, skills and shops. models, effects and such are different, but the base is quite generic. once you've done it, you can easily translate it for other purposes.

anyways. thanks for letting us know. good luck on your 2.5D MMORPG as it's way more complicated.
SAdSad
I am so good that I don't even need to type -rc because I never die !
Indeed , still interested how your other project turns out good luck .
Cat power < needs to be implemented into btSmile
Accounts are : , Imba_Kitten, DJ.FM,BENNIE.FM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The BattleTanks Standalone Project JFT 10 10,089 2016-09-21, 20:59:11
Last Post: JFT
  btanks version ´?? SlcK 0 2,762 2011-08-21, 19:55:37
Last Post: SlcK
  I want to test Btanks@Sc2 BetA !!! HaCkTiVaTeD 19 18,246 2011-07-06, 03:07:56
Last Post: EricHimself