Official Battle Tanks Community

Full Version: This forum is a tyranny
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a post deleted recently.

It was just a post saying that banning players might be a bit harsh and that perhaps banning them for a few weeks is more fitting.

The only thing I can think of that would have been wrong with that post is that it was probably in the wrong place. That is no justification to delete a members post. Moving the post would have been more appropriate.

Some administrators here really need lessons in net-ettiqute.
so where did you post? x)

did you even bother to read the important topics in the league forum?
(2014-01-24, 08:59:49)stibi- Wrote: [ -> ]so where did you post? x)

did you even bother to read the important topics in the league forum?

I posted in the "League/Ban Request (cont. II)" thread. It wasn't deliberate.

Yes, I understand that you shouldn't post in inappropriate places. But to delete the post is not the correct response from forum administrators. That is my argument.
That's even "if" the post was deleted for that reason.
if you check the first post

Quote:Invalid requests and anything else will be deleted without any comment!

looks pretty clear to meSmile

+ hardly anybody will be banned forever as you can place an unban request
http://btanks.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=368
I see that now.

My mistake was assuming the rules here were rational. Having a rule like that is harmful to Battle Tanks as it will drive people away.

I would usually leave a forum at once if I notice any poor moderator behavior.
There are only a few things that will get deleted, mainly
  • things prohibited by German law
  • and invalid request or off topic replies within the ban request thread

About the ban request threads: there were way too much (multiple paged) unrelated posts. Splitting those post (which is laboriously at mybb) and requesting not to use this thread did not help at all therefore we started to delete anythings besides valid requests from the ban request thread.
I agree that moving is a better solution but this particular thread is an exception.

As stibi already stated (almost) no ban is forever but there is no automatic lifting system.

edit:
btw, it's an autocracy with a few equal autocrat but i'm more equalBig Grin
I need to ask myself the question; is that true?
Is it true that you had so many "off topic" posts in the ban request thread that it became "laborious" to place them in their correct place?
If it's true I would agree; it's a legitimate reason to delete members' posts.

I can imagine that the ban request thread in particular would attract many "off topic" posts.
On the other hand, this forum seems pretty quiet. So, there's reasons to believe it and reasons to doubt it.

I'll need more time to consider the question further.
I don't believe the amount of off topic posts in that thread would have ever reached the point where it would become too time consuming to reroute them. And I base this upon my own experience in the forum; its always been relatively quiet.

Anyone reasonable would agree, if the amount of off topic posts was excessive then deleting them would be justified, since I have found this not to be the case (the reason is given) it takes me back to the point I made earlier; "It's an irrational rule which harms Battle Tanks."

So far I've made 61 posts in this forum and only 1 has been deleted. That's not too bad. I don't think it's worth leaving the forum over something like this. But, I want to see this forum improve. Specifically, I would like to see that rule changed. Perhaps there is a alternative that won't drive people away from Battle Tanks?

I can offer a suggestion. Smile
How about sending a message to the member with a copy of the post explaining that it doesn't belong there. It's an improvement on the current rule that I'm sure won't be "laborious" for administrators.
I think it should be obvious that the forum wasn't always like this. Look at the old Ban request thread for example:
http://btanks.net/forum/showthread.php?t...an+request

It filled 32 pages within less than a year. It might not be much, when compared to other forums, but when you have to manage everything that is posted there, then you don't want everyone to express their opinion on every single ban in that thread (you just have take a look, lots of offtopic posts there).
I will examine this new evidence. Thanks Exodus.
Good to see you again , i haven't played in a few months actually, what server are you on.
I would have replied to this sooner but I have been busy playing D3 and the SC2 game: “Lottery Defense.”

I took a look at the thread Ban Request (cont. II) and (maybe it’s just me) I can’t agree that it bears much relevancy to the topic.
Essentially, you’re offering a lame excuse for abusing the forum members.
The point at which I thought it was reasonable to delete member’s posts instead of redirecting them was around the point where the forum couldn't function without doing so.

What stibi said: there were way too much (multiple paged) unrelated posts. Splitting those post (which is laboriously at mybb) and requesting not to use this thread did not help at all therefore we started to delete anythings besides valid requests from the ban request thread.

I think the admins time is valuable but I think what stibi has forgotten is that member’s time is also valuable.
Members put time into their posts and after having their posts deleted some members will just leave.
On one hand you go to lengths making a forum for people and on the other hand you drive them away. It’s irrational.

And the reason given simply doesn't justify it.
I don’t buy that reason because it wouldn't take much more effort to redirect the posts. Even if it’s just messaging the person with a copy of the post saying; “Sorry, this post doesn't belong here.” Or, “Sorry, this ban request does not have the required information."

I will still keep pushing for a change in the rules because I want what is good for Battle Tanks and this forum.
If admins don't do that, a lot of people will post ban req everywhere. They just want people to follow the rules they made up, I think it's normal...
*esvau

lately i started to delete posts but i quote & reply in the most recent ban request reply

+ there is max 1 wrong post in the ban request thread per month ... idk why you bitch around that muchSmile
Yeah, I just realized I was quoting esavu not stibi in my last post.
My bad.

stibi, what do you mean when you say; "lately i started to delete posts but i quote & reply in the most recent ban request reply."
Does this mean that you have started to reply to posts that don't have the required information?
yes indeed