Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ELO System % Correction Factor proliferates selfish players
Gents,

I see your rationale of trying to distribute players by skill, but I've got to honestly say that a greedy farming strategy tends to keep you as the 'big dog' in the game. This ensures you maximize your stats, thus making greedy play the ideal of 'skill.'

I've personally taken on support roles, allowing my allies a greater share of the pie, and still set up pivotal attacks with a hunter to turn the game around. I could have barely any weapons and still change the game. My clan knows this.

The thing is I'll end up with less kills and less score, even if I have the same number of deaths as everyone on my team. At a certain point in the game all your allies fly over your head to farm, you end up with nothing.

When I play with my clan this is not a problem; but in a random team anything that encourages selfish play is going to attract assholes to the game like bees to honey. Have you seen guys yelling solo bot or solo top?

I for one enjoy taking on the tough places...but everyone knows the fastest way to get money is to solo a lane, hopefully against a weak opponent who might feed you kills.

There are many strategies that do not render high returns to the person, but good reward to the team. These strategies are a non-starter when they reward the player responsible with an 85% victory simply because they didn't take on a farming role.

I'm not saying the correction factor doesn't have some value as a performance indicator to help balance games, but seriously it does encourage farming. It makes a person question "How can I get the most money and kills as fast as I can?"

- Rob
Former Chieftain of Clan toaf on US EAST  *Retired*

Just playing for the fun of it now.

Messages In This Thread
Re: ELO System % Correction Factor proliferates selfish players - by GEN_Schwarzkopf - 2010-08-11, 06:33:10

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please respect china players! (Galbatorix MrTown[UC]) guangzhou265 19 17,428 2015-03-29, 19:03:58
Last Post: Wapiti.
  Elo System ichwillrotsein 3 4,331 2014-07-27, 07:59:05
Last Post: RaptorXI
  deep hack players and discrimation guangzhou265 0 1,753 2014-04-26, 18:47:00
Last Post: guangzhou265
  pls change elo system galadion1 13 8,473 2013-12-27, 12:09:23
Last Post: Althend
  kick system Terror-Sheep 6 5,045 2012-03-09, 17:37:48
Last Post: dirtyterror