Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ELO System % Correction Factor proliferates selfish players
GEN_Schwarzkopf Wrote:To be honest I'm not sure either. It is a trade-off.

What has been done right is the penalty on leavers as the balancing system generally works well if nobody leaves, or there isn't a horrendous feeder or two on a team.

What can tend to happen is the team with the highest rated player tends to lose if the worst player is a massive feeder. This is especially true if the highest rated player is a massive farmer...it's double trouble.

I don't think the 85% - 15% is really dividing"good" players from bad in ELO points; that is already done with win-loss. It is however distinguishing "offensive" players from "defensive" players.

Ipso facto the most 'skillful' player is defined by ELO as the most offensive player with best win-loss record. If you do a spot check 'study' you will find in many cases the person with the best stats is also the biggest farmer (or 2nd biggest) farmer.

I must take this a step further...

Over the course of 100 games, this 15% could earn/save the player an average of 2 points per game, or result in a rating of 200 higher than a defensive player of the comparable win-loss.

That is a lot of spread, think about it.

- Rob

Well, when you get to a certain level you need to get most of the farm in order to ensure a win.

Just consider this: Give a bad player 20k and he'll invest it in something suboptimal and then not use it in the best possible way. Give a good player 10k and he'll probably turn the game.

GEN_Schwarzkopf Wrote:This is not DoTA: Teamwork is so important that often a "carry" hero does not help the team to victory, they actually help them lose by hogging all the resources in tank cost + weapons thus having a downtime long enough for the base to be raped. Technically this person COST the team the game by running out to farm or be overly aggessive and dying, yet they are rewarded with at 85% loss.

Careless players can still farm massively while feeding the enemy with massive bounty. I'm not saying this happens in every case, but it happens alot.

A great player wont feed, a good player might but you'll probably not see him at the top of the charts then. The thing about a carry, it really does work that way in btanks aswell. I'm starting to think this is the whole point that you're missing. You need to be that "carry hero" in order to win, you just can't be the defensive/supporting player and you should be rewarded for contributing the most.

Btw, its not as much as 2 points a game and if you're consistently getting the 0.85 in games you can't blame playing support since you should be getting your money elsewhere and shouldent be that far behind in terms of income. Be it spawning creeps or trying to destroy the base.

My train of thought might be lost somewhere, seriously hangover, but I'll check what I wrote later on.
SC2: Equiem (Charcode 990), whisper me if you wish to practise some 1vs1 or grab some achievements

Repeat while playing: "There is no such thing as luck in Btanks" - Now watch yourself improve tenfold

Messages In This Thread
Re: ELO System % Correction Factor proliferates selfish players - by Equiem - 2010-08-12, 11:15:56

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please respect china players! (Galbatorix MrTown[UC]) guangzhou265 19 17,428 2015-03-29, 19:03:58
Last Post: Wapiti.
  Elo System ichwillrotsein 3 4,331 2014-07-27, 07:59:05
Last Post: RaptorXI
  deep hack players and discrimation guangzhou265 0 1,753 2014-04-26, 18:47:00
Last Post: guangzhou265
  pls change elo system galadion1 13 8,473 2013-12-27, 12:09:23
Last Post: Althend
  kick system Terror-Sheep 6 5,045 2012-03-09, 17:37:48
Last Post: dirtyterror