Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New PC? Which hardware?
Well, here is my opinion, you asked for it.

I am in no way a real hardware genius, but i know the following:

that new system will be way faster then your old one, the processor is much better, the graphics card is also much better (8800 gts is one of the best buys at the moment afaik), the 2gb of ram in comparison with your old 1gb (wich is probably even slower RAM ) will be noticable too. Dont worry about the other things like hdds and dvd writers, those arent the biggest costs of those machines. (if you choose to delete the dvd rw from the configuration, it wont save you much more then 20euros i guess, a smaller hdd also) Btw, if you have a better pc, you might go and play better games wich these days require lots of hdd space, but that on a side note.

Disclaimer: the things above are in general, i didnt look at the configuration at your shop, so i dont know what brands those parts are from (one brand delivers more for the money then other brands do). But still, in general its a better configuration.

Another thing: in stead of looking at the writer and hdd, you maybe should google some about you motherboard, since if you ever want to upgrade, you will need to know what is possible. Most low-medium budget pcs are configured with 'family'-motherboards wich do not really allow much further upgrading afterwards. (to give an example: my machine has such a family board too and i have only 3 slots for RAM, i have a very limited choice to wich cooler i could place on my processor since many capacitors were in the way, ...) Also they cut back on the L1 and L2 cache memory wich could make a fast processor and much ram useless. (I do NOT say that this is the case in your configuration, dont get me wrongWink ).

Then, maybe an example wich could interest you: some time ago, when the 8800gt was just out, someone i know had it. We had a LAN party and played Wintermaul Wars (i guess you know that warcraft td). Some guys had lots of frost towers but no damage, so we kept spawning creeps, but they wouldnt die as fast as we summoned them, so everybode started to lagg, from the slowest pc to the fastest.....except one. The guy who recently bought that graphics card. Of course he had also a good pc, but there were others with almost the same configuration but with a 7900 nvidia for example. Well, this is just one case off course, but it may give you an idea.

Now: the first thing you need to do is do decide what you need your pc for. If you game a lot, yes, buy a new one and maybe spend some more coins on it so that it will last longer. If you dont and only play warcraft and use it for work/school and the occasional game at a lan wich still runs, then stick to this pc and save some money to buy another machine later. Also, if you are going to run Linux sometimes, you better go with nvidia cards, since they support linux way better then ATI.

Last notes (for nowWink ):
1) if you choose for this system, buy some more ram instantly, it will pay off in the long run i think
2) you are lucky to be german, your hardware is much cheaper then it is hereSmile
3) i thought since you programmed a nice game like this, you would certainly know something about these thingsWink LOL
4) some good sites to go through:
-www.tomshardware.com (although some say its sometimes/often unreliable)
-www.tweakers.net (this is DUTCH !! dont know if you understand it, otherwise a very good site!!)
-try out some newsgroups, they are really worth it!!! (i searched quickly for you, maybe this might be usefull, otherwise you have too look for yourself, i do not know german that wellSmile : http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q...t_s=search )

Oh and if something i wrote is wrong, pls correct me.

Messages In This Thread
New PC? Which hardware? - by Bob666 - 2007-12-10, 17:34:13
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by Billy_Talent_ll - 2007-12-10, 17:45:51
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by Bob666 - 2007-12-10, 17:55:52
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by TKF - 2007-12-10, 18:54:09
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by Bob666 - 2007-12-10, 19:07:34
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by Billy_Talent_ll - 2007-12-10, 20:07:38
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by Bob666 - 2007-12-10, 22:09:29
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by Batto - 2007-12-11, 01:42:05
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by TKF - 2007-12-11, 15:34:52
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by Batto - 2007-12-11, 16:07:28
Re: New PC? Which hardware? - by TKF - 2007-12-11, 17:23:34