Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aura Totems
I read this thread just now, and was just about to post a reply but then i figured ill start a new topic for this.
http://forum.btanks.net/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=952

I like the orbs/aura stone idea that someone came up with in there. I also used to play World Of Warcraft, and it was fun watching the Shaman in particular, putting down totems that added an aura effect around it, all of which made me form this suggestion i like to call Aura Totems:

How about this; Each tank gets a new skill slot, hotkeyed to, i dunno, T for totem, which summons a totem with an aura on it with around 1000-1500 range.
You select a totem type to use for this skillslot from a (potential) new guy in base. Each player can only have one effect at a time, and if you want another one you need to switch at the dude in base. The switch would be of no cost(or maybe 500gold). All totems could have the same cooldown, or different depending on balancing and usage.
The skill would effectively put down an item acting much like a detector or teleport breaker; can't be destroyed, lasts for 10sec, 30sec, a minute or even more, and have various aura effects like a slow effect, allied speed boost effect(or even for all players?), damage over time effect, small healing effect, oil slick as someone suggested, or other interesting stuff.

Designers can limit certain aura totems to be incompatible with some tanks - for example if this was to actually happen, you might not want a Guard being able to put down a healing totem aswell as his root effect, flyers with the speed upgrade skill shouldn't be able to put down speed boost totems, etc, as this would disturb the general balance of already existing tanks.

The enemy need to be able to see these totems too, though - to make it less confusing what's going on. The totem itself should use a larger graphic then TP breaker, something more of the size of a tree in WC3, just ofcourse some cool graphic instead. Also if possible make it so you can go through it/over it, not needing to go around it to prevent it from being used as an obstacle blocking pathways.

It's important to note that I'm talking about a skill, not an item that takes up a space in the inventory. Also the skill can be used unlimited amounts of time(limited by cooldown only), not something that you need to purchase over and over again.
Also maybe a "No orbs mode" if people seem to hate this.

Sorry if anyone feels hijacked, I'm just rambling on. Don't flame.Smile
Any comments?

-Ayeshia-

:edit: Just added info on WoW totems below, to supply the already given ideas of usage.
Text taken from the official website: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/clas...otems.html

Quote:Totems - an introduction

# Totems remain stationary and do not move with you. You and your group must remain close to the totem to benefit from it.

(...)
Totem Types

Air Totems
Grace of Air Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which increases the agility of party members within X yards by Y. Lasts from between 1.25 - 1.5 minutes depending on the rank of the totem.
Nature Resistance Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health for 1 minute that increases the nature resistance of party members within Y yards by Z.
Tranquil Air Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health at the caster's feet which reduces threat to all party members within 30 yards by 20%. Lasts 1.25 minutes.
Windfury Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which enchants all party members' weapons with wind, if they are within X yards. Each hit has a 20% chance of granting the attacker 1 extra attack with Y extra attack power. Lasts 1.5 minutes.
Windwall Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster which protects party members within 30 yards, reducing ranged damage taken by Y. Lasts 1 minute.

Earth Totems
Earthbind Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which slows the movement speed of enemies within 10 yards for 45 seconds. Useful in combat to avoid damage and gain time to heal or cast offensive spells. Also useful when fleeing.
Strength of Earth Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which increases the strength of party members within 30 yards by X. This has the potential to increase their damage and other bonuses depending on their class. If you have a lot of melee strength based tanks, you might find this useful.
Stoneclaw Totem - Summons a totem with X health for 15 seconds which taunts creatures within 8 yards to attack it. This is one of your most useful totems. When the monsters are attacking this totem, they are not attacking you. This means less damage during a fight. This is also a somewhat useful escape totem. Cast it and start running after the monsters start attacking the totem. This can sometimes be enough to allow you to escape without dying. Stoneclaw Totem is usable against targets that are immune to nature attacks.
Stoneskin Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which reduces melee damage to party members within 30 yards by X. Lasts between 45 seconds to 1 minute, depending on the rank of the totem.
Tremor Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which shakes the ground around it removing Fear, Charm and Sleep effects from party members within 40 yards. Lasts 1.5 minutes. This totem is useful for when monsters try to put you to sleep or use other "harmful status effects."

Fire Totems
Fire Nova Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which, unless destroyed within x seconds, inficts y damage to enemies within 10 yards. The delay which before the totem is activated can be reduced by a talent.
Magma Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health for 20 seconds which causes X damage every 2 seconds to creatures within 8 yards.
Searing Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health at your feet for X seconds which repeatedly attacks an enemy within 20 yards inflicting Y-Z Fire damage.
Frost Resistance Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health for 1 minute which increases the frost resistance of party members by X. This is useful against monsters that have frost attacks.

Water Totems
Fire Resistance Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health for 1 minute which increases the fire resistance of party members within 30 yards by X.
Healing Stream Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which heals nearby group members.
Mana Spring Totem - Summons a totem with 5 health which restores X mana every 2 seconds to group members within 20 yards.

Take your pick; which ones do you like best?Smile

-Ayeshia-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aura Tank? progg 15 10,753 2011-11-26, 00:53:41
Last Post: Shadowgear7
  Armor, Weapon and Aura upgrades the truth 4 3,163 2009-01-25, 20:34:21
Last Post: ChronicStoned