Poll: Eh?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
14.29%
1 14.29%
Weapons testing, yes
14.29%
1 14.29%
Unsure / Undecided
0%
0 0%
No
57.14%
4 57.14%
No - it is too difficult (i would know)
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improved Map Testing
Improved Map Testing
Currently, the methods of map testing are: Exo himself, feedback, beta team, special people. In order to test a new weapon or something more complex like the trader redesign, Exo would need to put more work (= longer development time) and use the beta team.

Adding Experimental Changes to Release Version...........
This will only be practical for exo if creating a new mode is simple. This mode would be activatable only though a special typed command given on the forum. I dont know anything about how modes are made, but i believe that when selected, they 'add or change' some aspect of the game, cumulatively, so it works out like: basic + gold + levels + hb-yes/no + yes/no to various extra modes. Actually, wouldnt all modes be a yes/no?

I have not yet seen a beta map, but i can imagine this idea to only be a 'hidden' beta. It bridges the gap between whole versions and allows for 'testing' over a long period of time, with much greater exposure. If it can be done well, it would eliminate the need for a seperate beta map.

If you think this is good enough to replace beta maps, you could create a method of locking the mode - more complex but it will become a standard. Big changes could be locked to only beta team or have its own beta release.

Map Testing Mode/s
• Beta version to be made into a mode, accessed only by some method (???) i.e. locked mode
• Locked mode/s open to Beta team or people who are interested in testing - they apply or get invited or something
• Different locked modes to seperately test ideas - more focus on a particular feature or change

It may even be a good idea only for testing weapons:
• This will create an 'experimental shop' where multiple items or weapons are held
• Weapons could be entirely created by a user and exact details and text given to exo - he only has to reformat a weapon and put it in - if he likes it (or by some other method; voting, competition)
• Experiemental weapons could be open to the public

Entering Map Testing Mode: Text comes on screen giving details such as
• Title of mode e.g. Weapons Testing or 1500 Range Weapon
• Link to the forum advising players to provide feedback
• Description i.e. New weapons at weapon testing shop or Changed hunter ability

We could always just do single player to test things.. but thats boring. This also removes the need for beta-member only games, given how relatively small this group is, it would provide much more feedback. And anything too big and complex can be released in the traditional beta-map.
๏̮๏
Many of the changes would be difficult or impossible to create in a separate mode.

How about this instead?
The main problem of having a mixed pub and beta tester game is that the beta versions shouldn't be leaked right? If so, how about making a 'poisoned' beta, where the game will end 30 seconds in if noone enters a secret code (known only to beta testers). That way, beta testers can test the game even when there aren't other beta testers online, and avoid leaking the map. The pubs will get a copy of the map, but it will be unplayable without a beta tester to enter the code for them. This would also avoid the problems of added complexity and subtle bugs introduced by numerous extra modes as in the original suggestion.

The only problem I can see is that someone who is determined and knowledgeable about map editing and programming will be able to disable the code check. However, that is inherently a problem with any type of proposal like this, and is a comparatively small risk anyway.
Very good idea, as for the 'locking' method, it would have to be something like league password (less complex) so that pubs dont just take the password from hearing it or replay. Other than a password, it would require some amount of work in creating a 'lock'. One possible idea is a code that the beta tester knows how to create - based on sources such as bnet time and bnet date. Because no two games will have the same date and time, every code will be unique and no pub user will be able to re-use the code. The problem from this is potential leaking of how to create the code. I dont know if this is even possible (linking to bnet time).

As for the seperate mode to test... small things that exo adds can be created (created not limited to any mode) which is in the 'basic' mode before any modes are chosen which alter the basic mode. This means weapons, new tanks etc which are not included, can be 'turned on' in a mode for testing purposes... can any mapmakers comment on this?
๏̮๏
maybe if i was still a beta tester i could comment because i would know more about the situation. but unfortunately i've never seen the secret beta tester's section of the forums since i was kicked out of the cool club and not given a reason i'm afraid i can't help here. :wink:
Why's the rothchild family crest and the illuminati symbol on my 1 dollar bill? Why do rich and powerful American "christian" leaders have gay sex and worship a giant 40 foot stone owl at Beach Grove every year? Why doesn't anyone care?
Dr.McNinja Wrote:Very good idea, as for the 'locking' method, it would have to be something like league password (less complex) so that pubs dont just take the password from hearing it or replay. Other than a password, it would require some amount of work in creating a 'lock'. One possible idea is a code that the beta tester knows how to create - based on sources such as bnet time and bnet date. Because no two games will have the same date and time, every code will be unique and no pub user will be able to re-use the code. The problem from this is potential leaking of how to create the code. I dont know if this is even possible (linking to bnet time).

As for the seperate mode to test... small things that exo adds can be created (created not limited to any mode) which is in the 'basic' mode before any modes are chosen which alter the basic mode. This means weapons, new tanks etc which are not included, can be 'turned on' in a mode for testing purposes... can any mapmakers comment on this?

Well if you don't want people to see it, you could use observer chat.
It may still be possible to see obs chat by maphacking, (I wouldn't know since I've never done it), but if you are worried about that, then the best solution is to use something similar to what you outlined

Basically what you would need is a digital signature, like RSA or something.

Here's how it would work
The game displays a long randomly generated string
The beta tester alt tabs, and opens up a standalone program, and enters in the random string, and the secret key
The program combines the key and the string mathematically to create a new string
The beta tester enters in the new string ingame
The game verifies it, and if it is correct, the game works normally; otherwise it ends.

The best part is that even if someone got their hands on the program itself, they would still need to know the secret key to make it work.
The key could be changed every version if need be.
If someone really wants to get their hands on the beta it is going to happen. No amount of special protection will stop it.

We want exo to be concentrating on making Battle Tanks a better map, not adding all sorts of 'beta only' protection and such - besides there could be bugs in this protection that makes testing even harder.

No-one is forcing anyone to use the new map. If there are large bugs then people should create special in-house rules to prevent the use of the bug, or just go back to playing an earlier version until it can be fixed.
Exodus has shown that if a bug is big enough, he can release a quick fix in a relatively short time.

In regards to the idea of adding experimental changes in the release version, I think that the option to enable them would need to be made public. We do not want to create a system where there are the 'haves' that are playing battle tanks with all the interesting new modes and the 'have nots' who know nothing about the optional extras. We want to keep battle tanks accessable to new players (which is one reason why the map size is kept small), and adding 'hidden' extra modes in a release would go against this.
Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=291246

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Improved" Bonfire Flygplan 1 2,047 2013-10-30, 14:07:26
Last Post: RaptorXI
  Should inferno tank be improved? mooneye 10 5,066 2009-05-18, 17:58:53
Last Post: Dr.McNinja