Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiki
22-4 EDIT: The current Battle Tanks wiki is hosted by Snuffy on his server and is fully functional.
http://snuffy.zapto.org/index.php/Main_Page

Psy has mentioned that he will be creating a wiki for Battle Tanks, but i have not heard any more. Has anyone heard anything more other than the announcement?

Anyway, what i'd like to know from the creater of the wiki (psy presumably):
- Plans for the wiki are yes (you are sure you will or want to make the wiki)
- Time frame (i.e. soon, maybe soon, long time, months, likely 2 and a half months etc)
- Problems involved (hosting, creating the wiki site itself, personal commitments, lack of time)

I feel that these are important questions because if the wiki is created soon, large sections of the forum will be made redundant. For example, tank lists and dicussions. Getting to them is annoying enough, so ive been thinking about improving the strategy section but it will be a waste if the wiki is soon to come online.

Im in the process of creating an excel database of all stuff in BT for personal use, but getting the info from the forum isnt so easy. I could run the game for all the info but i want to be able to just look through info on the website. Theres also no mid shop list in the tank & item forum.

Thank you psy!
๏̮๏
As far as i know psy stopped working on the new hp/wiki/league, due to a lack of time and motivation. :|
Further questions for important looking people:

Who pays for hosting btanks.net
Who owns btanks.net
How much does it roughly cost to run the site? (month/year/domain name/hosting fees/etc)
How many people / whos involved with running the website/s themselves?

I assume the 'forum.' subdomain doesnt not cost anything extra.
If forum is seperate from btanks.net, same 2 questions.

Im currently very much into BT, past month or so. It is partially linked to using this forum.
Id be happy to help on home page and wiki but my knowledge of web design is in its infantcy.
So, do the owner/s know enough about a wiki to set up and host? all the page creation can be left to several 'admins' then when enough is done, it can be 'opened' for use.
๏̮๏
I really would appreciate a BTanks wiki. I set several times in front of my computer swearing because I couldn’t find some information at the forums. Unfortunately my knowledge of creating a web site or a wiki tends to zero, but I could help by writing a few texts.
Is SC2 - Battle Tanks out yet?
Dr.McNinja Wrote:Further questions for important looking people:

Who pays for hosting btanks.net
Who owns btanks.net
How much does it roughly cost to run the site? (month/year/domain name/hosting fees/etc)
How many people / whos involved with running the website/s themselves?

I assume the 'forum.' subdomain doesnt not cost anything extra.
If forum is seperate from btanks.net, same 2 questions.

Im currently very much into BT, past month or so. It is partially linked to using this forum.
Id be happy to help on home page and wiki but my knowledge of web design is in its infantcy.
So, do the owner/s know enough about a wiki to set up and host? all the page creation can be left to several 'admins' then when enough is done, it can be 'opened' for use.
If you really want to help, talk to psycho_dmr, he's our admin and responsible for the website.
This post has been brought to you by Sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.
As some of you might know, im into civilization wars community about as much as into btanks. Civ wars already got such a wiki, thats why im mentioning it.

This Link shows it, giving a clue how such a wiki could be looking (doesnt mean i particularly like the design they made). At the very end of this main page, there's also the link to the provider of that private wiki.

But concerning my experiences with the civ wars wiki, i think the effort to create it is greater than the actual usefulnes of it. This however depends on the time btanks will live (sad thought, but will we playing it in 10 years? :| ) and how regularly the wiki is updated.

Needs a bunch of work to get it started, most difficult part is probably the design if you want to make it any eye catchy. To fill that wiki with content, there are probably always some guys with some boring minutes to do this or that, but this can only start once the design template stands.

But, dont underestimate the work and think twice if you really want it. In my opinion, its better to have no wiki and an active forum than to have a rather bad wiki and players who try to use it, but arent satisfied with it.
Quickreply:

I have created a free wiki on what seems to be the best free wiki provider.
Ultimately, btanks should have its own dedicated, ad-free hosting but for the time being, this works.

As to DerSatan, what you say is a possibility but regarding the usefulness-to-effort, a lot of this bt wiki is based on whats already on the forum (unorganised).

10 Years from now? Incorporate Warcraft 6 Battle Tanks into the same wikiBig Grin

Personally, i believe a forum can potentially fulfil a wiki's purpose but this btanks forum is just really disorganised when it comes to info. I have very good ideas for that if anyone is interested (wiki makes those ideas obsolete).

Help now:
+ Find out if wetpaint allows exportation of wiki / database. If NO then probably stop work on it. Im sure they do, maybe for a cost $. This allows transfer to new host possible.
๏̮๏
Ok this wiki will not longer be active, the NEW bt wiki is hosted by a friend on his server. Incomplete for now.

Hooray!

Link: http://snuffy.zapto.org/index.php/Main_Page

This site is run by Snuffy @ usWest from AU. It also contains stats for his bot such as admin/bans/player/game lists where each replay can be downloaded (all games are saved).

If you are unsure about how to edit, post your text here.

pages TO DO LIST : http://snuffy.zapto.org/index.php/to_do_list
Think of a page and add it to the list unless its already there.

To make a new page, type in the new page replacing the end e.g. snuffy.zapto.org/index.php/____new_page____
๏̮๏
i don't think blizzard will keep warcraft 3 alive longer than the next 2, max 3 years.
in the next years they will release starcraft 2 and after that diablo 3
(during these approximately 5 years they will release 1 or 2 new WoW add ons($$$²³))

did anyone heared something about a warcraft 4??? well i did not...
and when starcraft 2 is released most of the w3 community will switch back to starcraft( befor warcraft 2...--->starcraft 1...--->warcraft 3)***

and to be honest when starcraft 2 is released i would prefer playing battle tanks on sc2 more than on w3 :?

does anybody know anything about a warcraft 1?
i mean there has to be one, since there is a warcraft 2 and warcraft 3....
Massive quotes just waste space.

Anyway, this map will LIVE ON (same with the forum, its backed up).

When and if BT for SC2 is made (and its like current BT but better) I hope it will be become a wiki and possibly be hosted by snuffy as well assuming someone buys him a copy of SC2. Why so pessimistic?! This game has points of amazingness that time will not destroy unlike older versions of bt and various other cool but failed maps. Anyway, either help or die. Thank you ChronicallyStonedoffmyass for your help!

Also creating new pages should follow the same wording, so lists would be XXX List i.e. Tanks List, Weapon Upgrades List etc.
๏̮๏
ChronicStoned Wrote:does anybody know anything about a warcraft 1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qNw6GRYnAI

http://www.blizzard.com/us/war1/
Anti-HighBounty Alliance has wonBig Grin
[Image: btanksia6.jpg]
Dr.McNinja Wrote:Massive quotes just waste space.

Anyway, this map will LIVE ON (same with the forum, its backed up).

When and if BT for SC2 is made (and its like current BT but better) I hope it will be become a wiki and possibly be hosted by snuffy as well assuming someone buys him a copy of SC2. Why so pessimistic?! This game has points of amazingness that time will not destroy unlike older versions of bt and various other cool but failed maps. Anyway, either help or die. Thank you ChronicallyStonedoffmyass for your help!

Also creating new pages should follow the same wording, so lists would be XXX List i.e. Tanks List, Weapon Upgrades List etc.

lol calm down dude...i just wrote down my point of view...
i did not said im against a wiki.
i just think its not worth the effort creating a wiki for the current battletanks.
but if you think it is worth the effort dont hesitate to make one...

thanks scorpBig Grin

already done

didnt think you were against it, i was just feverish

good reason why wiki is open to editing by people i.e. not one or a few people
๏̮๏
ChronicStoned Wrote:***
does anybody know anything about a warcraft 1?

I actually have Warcraft 1, but nothing old enough to run it anymore. The unit portraits are like 16x16 or something. The units were: Peasant/Peon, Footman/Grunt, Archer/Spearman (was it?), Knight/Raider, Wizard/Warlock, and Catapult. The Wizards and Warlocks both had 2 summons, one that made a really tough unit (Water Elemental/Daemon), and one that made a bunch of units (Spider for Orc, don't remember for humans). What I remember most where the neutral (and hostile) slimes on various maps. Those were pretty tough neutrals.

Most interesting might be the road, where you built road at the town hall or great hall, then placed it down. You could only build buildings near the road.
I never played warcraft 1, but warcraft 2 was the funnest thing i'd ever done in my life when it first came out (i think i was either too young and imature for sex then or i just was too scared of girls still). i was so fascinated with it and it got me hooked on rps ever since. we didn't have internet though so i never got competitive about it.
Why's the rothchild family crest and the illuminati symbol on my 1 dollar bill? Why do rich and powerful American "christian" leaders have gay sex and worship a giant 40 foot stone owl at Beach Grove every year? Why doesn't anyone care?
i know warcraft 2 cause i have a older brother who played it^^

edit: and i have w2 too xD i just bought it together with diablo1 and starcraft1+expansion for 10€ =)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  btanks wiki access betment 2 3,571 2012-10-30, 16:41:56
Last Post: eSVau
  Introducing the new Battle Tanks Wiki! psycho_dmr 4 3,250 2009-12-20, 15:27:50
Last Post: Dr.McNinja