Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counter Swarm Rockets?
Well I'm trying to learn how to play at a higher level, but I can't seem to figure out how to counter Swarm Rockets.

They are relatively inexpensive, have a long range, and high DPS. They can upgrade for more damage, maintain a solid crowd control, all without exposing your tank to injury. I'm not sure how to deal with it, so I thought I'd come here.

My normal strategy is generally to get a close range tank (Shredder or Thunder) with short range high DPS weapons and defend the control points, which is obviously difficult to fight a Air Ship /w 2+ Swarm Rockets anyways, but I'm not sure what I'd do to fight it other than mimic it.

Am I missing something? Or are Swarm Rockets known as overpowered and getting balanced soon?
They arent imbalanced imo, if you want to counter them with short range, just make sure you have higher speed and a stun ability (rocket,...) for example. Also move along creeps, that way the swarm rockets wont be as usefull...
The problem with swarm rocktets, is that they have a perfect range, with perfect price and average dps. I don't like any other weapons above 3300, not until I reach the price range of 6000....

Also rockets sounds so cool for many players, so they are the most popular weapon...

They can be countered with long range and short range weapons if you play it correctly...
TFT nailed it, plus in that time it takes to close from 1050 to 600 where you can nail them, you take so much damage. Especially bad when fighting Air-based tanks, because they simply out-run you. Kiting air-tanks with Swarm Rockets = Hard ass battles. You effectively lose the ability to fight that tank heads-up in the open field.
Swarm Rockets are easily one of the best bang for your buck weapons available in the game. They fire often and do a decent amount of damage with good range, as TKF already mentioned. I don't like buying the same weapon every game but with Swarm Rockets it's really hard not to buy them as they are such a great weapon versus creeps and players.
That's my issue with it, in a game with such diversity I feel like Swarm Rockets overshadow all weapons in the 2500-5000 range. I thought at first it was just me, but every game without fail 3 or 4 of the players on each team are packing one or more Swarm Rockets.

I understand that the weapons in the center should be good and desirable to encourage fighting for the center, but I've had games where the enemy simply gets there first, and sets up Tinker towers, with a Helicopter buying Swarm missles ASAP and the center never gets re-taken. A game not overly decided by skill as much as the monopoly of one catch-all weapon. Is this as intended?
there is no catch-all weapon in battle tanks. the swarm rockets use the same weapon formula as any other weapon, which gives price, range and dps balance. the swarm rockets are popular, but not imba. they got a very powerful seeming attack animation/sound, and rockets sound cool, so people like buying them. there are some alternatives to them, which arent better or worse than swarm rockets.
I did not know there was a formula, that does help settle my mind on it. With that said, with any formula there is still a most efficient point, sort of small-scale min-maxing. I guess I'll just have to play more and get used to it, but I've dropped my opinion from "overpowered" to "highly efficient"
Actually, I changed the weapon-damage-formula in the 8.00-version. In comparison to the version before, weapons are doing more damage per gold, the farther away the range from 1000 is (in both directions). Weapons with a range of 1000 have been really popular back then, thatswhy I made the high and low range weapons stronger. The difference is not that big, compared to the situation before, but I think it helped to balance the weapons of every range.

I made an overview how changed due to the new formula, but the old forums got deleted, so its lost :/

Ah well, I hope the explanation wasn't too confusing ^^
This post has been brought to you by Sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.
all items and all of their upgrades are based on this formula:
Price = Range * DPS * 0,015
---> Range = Price / (DPS * 0,015)
---> DPS = Price / (Range * 0,015)

for items that attack creeps only as multi bow its 0,0075 instead of 0,015.
so i think its clear that there are no "better" or "imba" items... when u loose against swarm rockets its because of playing style.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tutorial for how to play with raider and examples to counter it Wupti 17 15,614 2012-07-24, 22:46:22
Last Post: warrior_cobra
  How to counter long range? Faranim 10 9,812 2011-04-28, 23:57:01
Last Post: phoenix_strike
  Any Strategies to get SuperCell or Swarm? scron2 1 3,263 2011-02-14, 09:28:06
Last Post: LIoOoOoIL