Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Player Here
Hey im a new member of the forum and only last month discovered that battle tanks > dota easily on those lazy sunday afternoons.

Ive been playing a few games and have the basics down-and a basic build too. Not surprisingly, it involves basic magic. Its based on several builds that I saw work in pub games. I want to know whether this would actually work long term or whether its crap.

Light Tank-

3 Basic Magic (upgrade)
If game is going well- save for ghost tank.
If game is not going well-Hull Upgrades and TPer- Ghost Tank
Speed Pack
Replace the basic magic with fear magic gradually. (upgrade)

After that I pretty much screw around, save for better tanks.

Strategy is to push heavily in mid and draw fire with the spirits. The life sucking abilites also give me a tanking edge. The reasons for the basic and fear magic is the range and damage- I want to be able to make life tough for tanks that choose to ignore me because of my survival capabilites, but not attract so much attention that I become public enemy number one.

Ive based this reasoning on dota experience-does it apply in any way or am I just talking crap..
Nice tactic, but I often use to vary the tanks I buy, and nice to see anyone other myself posting here in the forum xD.

Also I almost never buy weapons that in total exceeds 230 dps + tank cannon. I buy a better tank before I start to increase my weapon power. You can do incredible much with this firepower with your skills. I also try to avoid purchasing a hull(, except when I'm a tinker). I rather go for a better tank. Lately, me and a friend tried to go guard together just to prove the imbaness of rooting next to each other. It's quite good tactic, and to counter the immobility in long game I often buy speedpack to I can TP after enemies trying to get around^^. Also air ship, ghost tank and heavy tank are also very good. Also there is much other tanks to select...

I rarely buys ghost tank. Troop Command is a very good combo item for ghost tank, since it have a skill that allows it to get healed by dying troops.
As i noted somewhere before, i decide my tactic at each moment of the game. Sometimes it is just more profitable to go and buy some more weapons fast, sometimes you need to get hull/better tank earlier. Your combo isnt a bad one, except that i wouldnt buy that 3rd basic magic (just a personal feeling, nothing moreSmile ). I have to admit, that sometimes my builds arent that succesfull, but that is just the consequence of not always playing the same tank with the same weapons but instead trying new things.

Although, i have a favorite build wich varies from time to time. At this moment it is to buy heli+basic canon at start. Then save money to buy a next basic canon as quickly as possible (yes,i do not upgrade the weapons just because i think with a weapon that is as slow as this canon, it is better to have 2 then to have 1 wich fires a bit faster). Then, i see what is going on in the game (wich is made even easier by the newly imported "-stats x" command (must be a wise person who suggested thatWink ) ) and decide if i buy new weapon or hull (yes HULL) at that moment. As a next weapon, i can consider a new basic canon, but also a more ranged weapon like the swarm rockets to kill of fleeing enemies from my basic canons. But as you see, even if it is my favourite build at that moment, i still decide lots of things at the spur of the momentSmile.

And @TKF:
Quote:and nice to see anyone other myself posting here in the forum xD
I dont think you can complain that much these days, as i think this forums are quite busy latelySmileWink
Hi there.

Im new too. Instead of spamming another topic I use this reply.

Basically I want to say Congratulations for the project. I love this map.

Im learning in the AI mode. I played against some players, but its kinda all or nothing: sometimes I met unbeatable players, sometimes I met "no match" ones...

Soon I will be able to join Battle.net and find some fun. until then I play against AI, which is still fun though boring sometimes, since they dont have long term strategy.

So, i think its all for now. cya guys.
Hi there,

it always nice to see new people around here. Hm, I think we need a forum where you can introduce yourself or something like that.
This post has been brought to you by Sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.
Nice to see some other newbies as well.

I tried the Basic Magicx2 + Light Tank, but I didn't find it good, has the Basic Magic been toned down by 8.33? It could be my play style, I'm more of an up-close tank player, still learning to manipulate range.

My favorite build of late has been Light Tank + Tornado Magic in 3k, but I'm still playing around as 3k is quite a bit limiting for choice. 5k is a whole 'nother beast, but has some starts that are nasty (Heli + Swarm Rockets FTW)
Welcome i would saySmile

More and more ppl are finding their ways to these forums, wich is very nice. Also nice that you already tried some tactics mentioned here. But i think you should learn to handle the range like you said, because with that, the basic magic *2 is one of the easiest tactics out there imho. Also there will be more 3k then 5k starting gold games, so you better get used to itWink
Alright I will continue to try Basic Magic, I personally hate the Light Tank, it is so fragile than even when playing cautious I tend to feed the opposing team too much, so I may start Tinker / Electro Cannon to avoid too much front-line fighting.
My first post in this forumWink

The light tank is not that fragile i think, you should often play and you wouldn´t die that often. Play really carefull!

The tinker electro cannon strat is much more fragile, because level 2 rocket or 1-2 shots of a weapon kill you immediately.
Captain-Iglu wo bist du^^
ycoseth Wrote:Alright I will continue to try Basic Magic, I personally hate the Light Tank, it is so fragile than even when playing cautious I tend to feed the opposing team too much, so I may start Tinker / Electro Cannon to avoid too much front-line fighting.

Tinker/Energy Torpedo is far superior for two reasons: one being range, the other being damage. As a tinker, you want to stay at max range all the time. The weapon best suited for that purpose under 3000 gold is the Energy Torpedo. Second, the energy Torpedo does a lot of damage in one shot so you are guaranteed money from shots on almost every creep and may get the kill shot on tanks.

I find this strat is quite useful, up to a point. I usually just go with that combo until I have 800 or 1000 gold and buy the light tank or helicopter.Big Grin
Haha I meant Energy Torpedo, that was a brainfart on my end. The Tinker is more Fragile but Basic Magic has a range of 999 right? That means with Energy Torpedo I can remain a solid 300 range farther away, and enemies won't pursue into my towers, especially early game when they are fragile as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners to experienced player's guide DerSatan 5 9,115 2007-07-09, 20:03:56
Last Post: TKF