Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How to counter long range?
What is the best way to counter a long range player? Every time I random something like Medivac w/ Molotov, and go against a Heli or Scout with Bombarding Rockets, I don't know what to do. They can creep faster than me because I can't get too close due to my low HP.

Do I buy a hull first, or try and save for a bigger tank like Thunder? Would Troop Command be effective?
(2011-04-15, 07:08:58)Faranim Wrote: What is the best way to counter a long range player? Every time I random something like Medivac w/ Molotov, and go against a Heli or Scout with Bombarding Rockets, I don't know what to do. They can creep faster than me because I can't get too close due to my low HP.

Do I buy a hull first, or try and save for a bigger tank like Thunder? Would Troop Command be effective?

they may dominate in the early game (till min 20-25) but will suck in the lategame if they keep on ranging & dont switch to hunter or anything useful.
dont focus on trying to kill them, focus on creeps. get a porter, get a net & i would not take a thunder vs an air ranger.
in case you random a medi & play lane skill decoy instead of life converter, skill tank cannon to lvl 2-3 (that's like an additional 2k weapon!) & hide behind creeps/dec
if u have medivac dont buy molotov, try boonfire dont upgrade buy second at min 2 or so and then focus on killing them with q skill and they are fast down, then u can creep until they come back then againSmile
Medivac + bonfire = bad. Especially against long range, no way to get close enough.

The most important thing against long range is to notice the fact that long range becomes weaker with gametime (as stibi mentioned) and play accordingly. The imperative should be not to get kills, but to get into the middle/late game without any feeding. Play very defensive and stay next to your force's creeps. On side lane i'd recommand the smallest hull asap to be safe and go for Air Ship afterwards (you need the speed). In mid you might get a hull if either you can play offensive against non-long rangers (only 1 long range in the opponent team) or if 2+ players have long range weapons and stuns. Then go for a 4k+ tank. If there is only 1 long ranger (or 2 without stun spells) you can also rush for a tank in the 4k-4.5k gold range. I do not recommend going for heavy tank without hull, the timespan needed is simply too long.

Later on go for teleporter to snipe lone long rangers. In a direct close combat fight they will have no chance if they didn't get a significant number of kills early on. (If they did get lots of kills early on, you are doomed ~~)

There are more ways to cope with long range, but those can be relatively easy guidelines in my opinion.
Some good players already made comments against long range in a 1v1 case.

If 3v3 at middle, when the other team has 3 long rangs while the own team has none or only 1, the team work at the beginning becomes more important. Suggest to stay with the mates together, don't let someone go alone and get focused and then overfeed the long range team. Also try to share some damage for the mates, don't let anyone die too easy. 1 of the guy should get a heavy tank or something similar to absorb more damange, while the other 2 can still saving. (but a hull is needed at least).
I would say:

- Buy hull if they buy a second long range weapon (otherwise you feed as hell or have a too big handicap tooc reep)

- saving to get tiers 2 at 10th minute is a good way to do it (getting airship or thunder or heavy ; NOT ghost)

- troop is effective if your tank seepd is higher than opponent speed

And if you plan to use troop early and surprised them (and do funny mean underrated build), i would suggest: Tinker + light hull + troop. You teleport on opponent, do troop and select all your troop to attack him. (then you up hull, then weapon costing 2k max then steel hull)

I am so good that I don't even need to type -rc because I never die !
Imo, if you are medivac and you face an air tank on side, you should switch to mid. Your q skill need to be able to hit the tank along with the creeps to help you farm faster. Air tanks generally don't stay on top of tanks, and heli with bombard rocket never stay on top of creeps. Better if you just ask for a switch early to mid; it gets you out of trouble and your heal helps your teammates.
(2011-04-26, 06:27:07)phoenix_strike Wrote: ... Your q skill need to be able to hit the tank along with the creeps ...

I thought Medivac Q skill doesn't damage creeps, only enemy tanks.

Another point for facing long range opponents mid is to stay away from your CP when you are getting pushed. Instead retreat down your lane to stick with creep waves. Because they are range, they will not be able to kill the tower and take your CP until later in the game. STAY BEHIND YOUR CREEPWAVES.
http://btanks.net/wiki/Superthrust

or read the skill description when you random a medi
(2011-04-27, 12:54:16)toyboatt Wrote: STAY BEHIND YOUR CREEPWAVES.

Don't be a coward and be next to your creep :p (it is better :p)
I am so good that I don't even need to type -rc because I never die !
(2011-04-27, 12:54:16)toyboatt Wrote:
(2011-04-26, 06:27:07)phoenix_strike Wrote: ... Your q skill need to be able to hit the tank along with the creeps ...

I thought Medivac Q skill doesn't damage creeps, only enemy tanks.

Another point for facing long range opponents mid is to stay away from your CP when you are getting pushed. Instead retreat down your lane to stick with creep waves. Because they are range, they will not be able to kill the tower and take your CP until later in the game. STAY BEHIND YOUR CREEPWAVES.

It doesn't hurt creeps if you just send it into creeps. If the Q skill hits a tank, it does aoe dmg, so creeps nearby are hurt as well.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long Range on Lane UnifiedDoom 20 15,417 2012-07-25, 23:05:45
Last Post: Crag_Hack
  tutorial for how to play with raider and examples to counter it Wupti 17 15,693 2012-07-24, 22:46:22
Last Post: warrior_cobra
  tanks speed and weapons range ckibibi 2 4,097 2011-05-19, 17:16:46
Last Post: Exodus
  Somes techs by Atlhend vol2: The range Althend 5 4,722 2008-01-16, 01:15:40
Last Post: Althend
  Counter Swarm Rockets? ycoseth 10 8,364 2007-12-29, 23:19:46
Last Post: ChiLLedKr0eTe