Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sky Fortress + Net
Something I discovered today: Net also seems to be buggy regarding smoke - when someone clicks net on you, then you use smoke, he nets you and can still hit you. Also, you can use smoke while being neted and in the newest version (8.69c at the time of writing this) it does seem that smoke does not work when being neted. No radar involved before any of you starts to ask.

How about removing net from the game altogether?
I don't like removing options from the game either, but as it stays, net seems totally imbalanced to me - on one hand it can be circumvented by sky fortress, on the other hand, you can't teleport out of the net and it seems to disable smoke.

Don't know, maybe someone has some good suggestions regarding net - enabling tp again in net would be perfect i think
Getting used to the Sand everywhere. At least it brings us map updates.
Removing nets completely will make it nearly impossible for short ranged ground tanks to fight long-ranged air tanks... They can run behind the trees/cliffs and continue to fire off their weapons without being hit back.
Starcraft II
PandaBearGuy.614
Being a possible target when invisible + neted is a normal wc3 feature. It's the same with an ensnared blademaster in windwalk.

Net is well balanced the way it is. It might not be realistic in any way, but it doesn't need to be realistic. It's neither too weak, nor too strong.
If you are invisible and i put a big net on your head, i can still see that something invisible is under the net so i shoot there. So i think it's ok. But i still don't like not being able to teleport out there.
In my opinion it's enough to be able to dodge the net with teleporter, you don't want to make net even more useless against a permanent 3k gold item (and it gives a nice portion of needing skill into bt).
Sky Fortress can escape from Bounty Hunter's ultimate, so a net is not really that powerful to hold back a whole Fortress. The tank itself possesses a strong will of living, and therefore would never sit in a place waiting for its judgement. All imo.
IlPalazzo Wrote:When you use a net you take away the three important advantages of being an air tank - it's mobility, it's ground skill immunity, and his ability to use AA Guns and Bombs. Is that a sad use of an expendable item? I don't think so. To the contrary - I would say it's one of the most useful items in the game.

Who cares if it costs 200 gold per use? In the middle game air tanks are worth ~400 gold, and towards the end-game they can reach 600-1000... If you get the kill you will get much more in profit...

if he loses the ability to use Bombs, same happens to your AA. as I said, no argument here.

who cares if it costs 200 gold per use? well, I'd prefer to have that 200 more for a kill. that's 50% bounty in midgame.
k-bones Wrote:if he loses the ability to use Bombs, same happens to your AA. as I said, no argument here.

who cares if it costs 200 gold per use? well, I'd prefer to have that 200 more for a kill. that's 50% bounty in midgame.

Well, I'd prefer to have an extra 200 gold as well, but that would be unbalanced... For 200 gold you're holding an air tank in place for 2-3 seconds and holding him to the ground. If you think it's underpowered or useless then I suppose theirs no need to use it, but personally I've had numerous occasions where that extra root/hold has allowed me to kill air tanks with minimal resistance and an even smaller chance for them to escape. I've also had a handful of times where that extra root allowed my teammate to escape from a Sky Fortress's System Overload, denying him a 500-1000 gold he could have clearly made otherwise. From my experience, spending 200 gold for every net is worth every penny, spending anything less would be grossly unfair to air tanks.

Also, don't buy an AA gun - buy an Axe Launcher, you can usually finish off an air tank while it's netted when you're dishing out that much DPS.
Starcraft II
PandaBearGuy.614
I simply noticed that if adv. troop pack, which can decimate the base in a few uses, is permanent, a killing tool could be too. Imbalance can be fixed with changing range, duration, price etc.
k-bones Wrote:I simply noticed that if adv. troop pack, which can decimate the base in a few uses, is permanent, a killing tool could be too. Imbalance can be fixed with changing range, duration, price etc.

If the nets were permanent, what specific changes do you think would make it balanced?
Starcraft II
PandaBearGuy.614
500 - 1500 gold item cost (depends on cooldown) + 100 gold cost per use?
No cost per use. Repair kits and unit packs are for free even if there is a single reinforcement item.
I think simply changing cooldown and setting cost to 3000 would be okay. Earlier, you could use the consumable version.
Cooldown to 20 minutes then?

Seriously net non-consumable would be impossible to balance.
Well, repair kit is balanced. And most of the time it can win you the fight.
Prog Wrote:Cooldown to 20 minutes then?

Seriously net non-consumable would be impossible to balance.

LOL, the average player would only be able to use this 2-3 times a game... I'd go with the regular nets with such a ridiculous cooldown for 1/5 the price.

But yes, I agree - personally I like nets set up the way they are, because I don't see the need to have the mappers/DevTeam spend time trying to implement and balance this. I'd think it'd be better for them to work on a new item, a new tank, the league... or a new fast mode. :wink:

k-bones Wrote:Well, repair kit is balanced. And most of the time it can win you the fight.

The difference is that the repair affects you, while the nets are used on your opponents. If your opponents switches out of his air tank and there's no one left to net, then the item is underpowered. If they are completely composed of air units, the nets would see a lot of use, to the point where some might think it's overpowered because it's forcing them to switch out of their tank. It's better off as a consumable, because like the teleport breaker, it has a variable amount of utility depending on how your opponent plays.
Starcraft II
PandaBearGuy.614
IlPalazzo Wrote:
k-bones Wrote:Well, repair kit is balanced. And most of the time it can win you the fight.

The difference is that the repair affects you, while the nets are used on your opponents. If your opponents switches out of his air tank and there's no one left to net, then the item is underpowered. If they are completely composed of air units, the nets would see a lot of use, to the point where some might think it's overpowered because it's forcing them to switch out of their tank. It's better off as a consumable, because like the teleport breaker, it has a variable amount of utility depending on how your opponent plays.
And this is the point, why the nets should stay, as they are. They are a true counter-item versus special tanks and Game-Setups. But also, I would like to see at least the mortar-team-item with the cooldown in any time as a consumable item, because the same scenario works on them: Only a real counter-item versus special Game-Setups (or is here someone, who is buying this item, if there are no tinkers with their nasty towers?Big Grin)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sky Fortress Overpowered xenocide85 83 40,155 2008-08-18, 17:14:21
Last Post: TKF
  Sky Fortress Carpet Bomb horselance 2 2,160 2008-06-12, 16:14:32
  8.44 sky fortress lvl10 & scout's tower DOGG1 9 6,603 2008-06-08, 18:29:37