Poll: Which keyboard layout are you using?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
QWERTZ
52.63%
10 52.63%
QWERTY
36.84%
7 36.84%
AZERTY
5.26%
1 5.26%
Other
5.26%
1 5.26%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Item Buy Hotkeys
Hey there,
since UnifiedDoom brougth up the topic about hotkeys for the TCC abilities, I thought about implementing them for every creep / skill of the TCC. And then I thought, why stop there? There are a lot of shops, which could also use some hotkeys. Since each shop has 3x4 items, I thought about distributing the hotkeys on the keyboard like this:

Code:
Q W E R
A S D F
Y X C V

But then I noticed a problem: keyboard layouts. The main problem would be the Y, since it's a Z on english keyboards. So, how to solve this? I think the most fair solution would be, to make a survey and see, which layout is used more often and go with that.

So, it's already a given, that I'm going to implement the hotkeys for all the items / weapons / tanks, in the end it just comes down to the Y / Z case. So please pick the layout you are using yourself, so I can make a decision based on a majority vote.
This post has been brought to you by Sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.
YES! now I can spam Q and buy my basic magics before everyone elseBig Grin

But in all seriousness I think we should be cautious with such a change. I used to play Dota which had a similar hotkey system with the shops. Occassionally I would try to talk with a shop selected and accidently buy one or several items I didn't intend to buy. Now this isn't a problem with the "quick 100% refund" change you implemented (which is a very good mechanic), but I'm pretty confident most players are unaware of this fact. Also I do question the usuability of such a change, I didn't know any dota players, even to my knowledge in the ultra-competitive level that used the shop's hotkeys instead of just clicking on what they wanted.
Also, this could interfere with hotkey tools like BT-Tool! And what about the standard hotkey for control point teleport? I think it is [C].
(2012-06-28, 14:44:41)ssl Wrote: Also, this could interfere with hotkey tools like BT-Tool! And what about the standard hotkey for control point teleport? I think it is [C].

Well, what about the skill hotkeys, which are qwer? There is no conflict, since you don't have your tank selected, but the shop.
Well, i do use azerty keyboard, but i don't think this could have a big importance. Most of players play with qwerty, then just try this way imo. After all, some players will take the habit to buy weapons with special hotkeys because most of players play their games with almost the same technique. For others, well they will do as usualTongue
What about a command to change keyboard layouts?
Well, there is a windows command to do that ;) A warcraft command, which changes hotkeys is not possible.
Because this will be implemented in the next beta version, I want to bring this to your attention again.
While you're at this maybe add hotkeys for items and weapons in shops.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Backpack item? gozo1985 4 5,126 2014-01-12, 02:52:21
Last Post: BtankNoob
  New item idea: Titanium Hull psycodiver 8 7,433 2014-01-12, 02:49:37
Last Post: BtankNoob
  New Item Wupti 10 10,821 2012-09-03, 01:26:23
Last Post: Wupti
  Teleport Breaker as Inventory Item griffin1987 10 8,584 2011-09-09, 22:14:56
Last Post: progg
  Found a cool bug once i think its a great idea for a skill or item tained 0 1,872 2011-09-08, 18:04:02
Last Post: tained