Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible virus infected custom maps
Hi guys,
an Wc3 exploit has been recently discovered, which allows map makers to insert viruses into maps. You are advised to only download any custom map from trusted sources, such as this website. Let's hope Blizzard will fix this soon by releasing another patch.
The chance of an infected map may be low, but better be safe than sorry.
This post has been brought to you by Sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.
forgive me if this sounds too cynical, but i find it humorous and i think also ironic (irony is a complicated concept sometimes) that blizzard started warden for more control and instead a way to distribute a virus appears.

on a more related note, do you know if completion or if simply starting the download of a map is enough to get the virus?
Afaik downloading is safe, but loading (starting the map) is enough to execute the virus code, since there is an initialisation trigger, which gets executed during the loading of the map.
would you care to address allegations that the new virus maps affect primarily players of battle tanks hb mode? don't ask me who said this. (i can't reveal my sources) Big Grin
Why's the rothchild family crest and the illuminati symbol on my 1 dollar bill? Why do rich and powerful American "christian" leaders have gay sex and worship a giant 40 foot stone owl at Beach Grove every year? Why doesn't anyone care?

speak to my lawyers
๏̮๏
Note that for DotA maps, the filesize is very small, and uses the same loading screen, meaning you do not know you have downloaded the map, as the DL is done when the lobby screen comes up (or down, technically). Do not join public games unless it is from a trusted host.

Apparently the #1 target is DotA (obviously), but the second is Green TD (considering there are so many versions of it, and it is popular.)
There has been an update on this issue. For an official Blizzard announcement, look here.

Basically, you are safe now in Bnet, but the problem still exists when playing singleplayer or over LAN.

HAHA dota virus!

so i dont have to worry if i simply dl btanks from btanks.net as everyone should do.
and for other maps you like to play:
in the map describtion or the loading screen or the credits in the quest menu, somewhere there is always a note
which tells you where you can download the map directly from the mappers
This is old news, so I've removed it from global announcement and moved it to general discussion.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OLD Maps ICE2607 2 3,497 2012-12-18, 16:24:32
Last Post: ICE2607
  Stealthbot custom commands Dr.McNinja 1 1,703 2009-05-06, 16:52:47
Last Post: Dr.McNinja
  Custom Kicking Hosts NewbCock 1 1,418 2009-04-29, 18:36:13
Last Post: NewbCock
  8.54 and still no way to avoid Custom Kicking douchebag kids ddawg4169 32 17,117 2008-12-07, 00:16:46
Last Post: qweqqweq