Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BTanks webpage discontinued?
Exclamation 
As announced

Quote:Hi folks,

i (eSVau) will discontinue hosting the btanks.net webpage and forum by May 15th 2016.
You might apply as successor.
Marvin Wrote:The first ten million years were the worst and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline
Hello eSvau.

How much would it cost a year and what competences would it require to maintain the website ?
:D "you see whole replay and then come back to say please!"Big Grin
===== FAM_Nexes... To be continued... GodStrongArms, Nexes, Canneton =====
ooooTongue anyway i dont play much now but ..
Don't worry, don't cry, take ecstasy and flyExclamation
(2016-03-16, 23:20:57)GodStrongArms Wrote: Hello eSvau.

How much would it cost a year and what competences would it require to maintain the website ?

Atm i pay 5 Eur per month for this vServer (3.5GHz vCore* (whatever a vCore power is), 1GB Ram, 50GB HD) (which also had the dtpc clan page and an own ghost running which long ago stopped working and crashes on startup since thenTongue).
A smaller package is probably enough to simple host this page. A shared hosting package might be troublesome due php related restrictions.

To maintain the webpage and forum it would require some PHP-knowledge due some custom modification, general knowledge how to upload webspace related files to a webserver.
Knowledge how to secure and maintain whatever hosting platform it will be.
Fight spam on daily basis. Patching/updating the forum and blog software somewhat like weekly.
A thick skin to receive the opposite of gratitude (since there is no reason to post but for complains)

And you would need approval from psycho_dmr since he is in ownership and control of the domain (he wanted to give it away last time)
Marvin Wrote:The first ten million years were the worst and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline
I don't know for which reason you retire, but as a the new admin you should reconsider if keeping this site up still isworth the effort. If there is someone you favor and willing to take over, why not. For me it doesn't matter and i am not intersted but wouldn't mind to merge with a bigger community like ENT, MakeMeHost or The Hive Workshop, it might even bring new players to the game. I've done it for Civ Wars once and we have a small sub-forum there. But it's sad to see our old love game dieing until the very last players report each other and get banned. And any project besides the WC3 map ever announced got cancelled or didn't happen at all.
If you need my help to talk one of the ENT admins, let me know. Anyway, thanks for the good work over the last years.
ye with the ent clan that would be interesting mb more ppl would start to play bt again
Don't worry, don't cry, take ecstasy and flyExclamation
Two month ago the provider detected a problem with the raid array and they did an verify/fix of the whole raid array.
Since every kept running smooth it seemed there weren't any problem but about 6 weeks ago things started to break down.

I was no longer able to establish an ssh connection to the server. I assumed it was result of an previous DDoS attack and my dynamic IP got blocked as collateral damage, so i've connected my provider and the told me, that they wouldnt block any IP.
The next couple of days i tried to resolve this problem and got a connection via a rescue console (which sucks).
My next guess was some ip block by my servers firewall (some idiots tried to hack admin accounts since forever: go, die in hell).
With some help of velocity2k i finally found the culprit in some corrupted files and libs which are required for ssh and other stuff. So i gained knowledge of a corrupted file system and then things started to finally break down, mail sending no longer worked, some new created thread never showed up, etc..

I could dump a backup and gave it to psycho_dmr who is currently and temporarily hosting this forum and wordpress. Since a few weeks i'm no longer hosting btanks.
I've connected an contact who is willing to continue hosting everything but everything is beyond my control. And since i'm just back from vacation i have no clue what will happen.
THX for everything ESVAU and all other admins. 
sry for my flaming (most times).
duno what happen in future but btanks was part of my life (9 years) it was really funny to play with you guys.
i will try to start some games in the week with calling people but btanks is deadSad
now im playing with people like guang ...
thx for everything, nearly a decade of fun with btanks and i appreciate all the hard work of the forum team.
there are some "kinda" similar games like btanks, but btanks is till unique and unreachable.

I'm kinda surprised the game has endured this long.
I can still get a game with a not-too-bad wait time; even after all these years!

It's a damn pity the SC2 port didn't end up happening; that would have ensured the game's survival.
I like to play.
yeah, i also joined BNet again recently. i mainly started replaying the Story Mode of WC3 which is one of my favorites of all time.

since the forums are mostly dead and the irc isn't visited as much anymore, i created a discord server for us. you're welcome to join there, getting some people and use it as a plattform to chat (Text and Voice Channel) and prepare for games. maybe we go with open game modes (or player red deciding the gamemode) instead as well. join by https://discord.gg/FbbGbHj
Not yet totally dead, you can find the Team and possibly new and old Players on our new Discord Server. Join by this Instant Invite: https://discord.gg/FbbGbHj

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BTanks Standalone RikonVan 4 4,938 2016-03-14, 19:08:48
Last Post: Althend
  Btanks.net has been moved eSVau 9 8,062 2013-09-02, 11:34:44
Last Post: BENNIE.FM
  btanks wiki access betment 2 3,486 2012-10-30, 16:41:56
Last Post: eSVau
Exclamation Uppdate Pictures on Btanks.net Perfektionist 0 1,970 2012-10-24, 16:03:46
Last Post: Perfektionist
  Btanks on larger screen Scotty81 1 2,459 2012-03-31, 13:56:00
Last Post: Exodus