Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beginners to experienced player's guide
This tutorial is made for advanced players, who already played the game 3-4 times, so they know the basics.
it will not suggest a certain tactic, it is a general guide. Of course there are tactitcs which dont appear or which
are considered as not to be advised, these are possible, too, but normally require more experienced players.

The Tutorial is written at version 8.15

1 Tanks

There are generally three sorts of tanks (apart from the exploder and the trader), divided by their best use of weapons. A tactic using long ranged
weapons is considered as easier, as trying to keep away from your opponents is not as challenging as trying to get close to him in the right moment.

1.1 Long ranged Tanks

The Tinker, Light Tank, Helicopter, Goblin Zeppelin and the Guard require long range weapons (min. ~900). Don't try to get short range weapons with these Tanks. Especially the Tinker will need to outrange his opponents in the beginning, so his weapons should have 1050 - 1300 range. Try not to die, but kill many creeps and towers. If you can destroy an enemie's Tank do so, but dont follow him too far.

1.2 Short ranged Tanks

The Goblin Shredder and the Goblin Tank work best with short range weapons (max. ~800). Your main objective with these two Tanks is to kill other players. Short ranged weapons deal more damage for less gold, and they dont shoot at creeps which are far away. So buying long ranged weapons may be wasted money on your purpose killing tanks. But dont get jaunty, observe the Creeps as well as all the Tanks in the game. You should also have one eye hanging on the mini map, because defending a control point is a task made for you. A teleporter is a great choice, especially for the Goblin Tank.

1.3 Dynamic ranged Tanks

The Demolisher, Antigrav Tank, Thunder Tank, Ghost Tank, Heavy Tank, Sky Tank, Demon Tank, Frost Robot and the Infernal Robot can use any weapon's range to be useful. Nevertheless, you should think about which way you want to follow mostly and buy your weapons according to that schema. In the late game, you may also purchase weapons of other types, but you shouldn't start that way. Depending on which weapons you chose and which Tanks you consider to take later, your tactic will be similar to the two mentioned above.

1.4 Trader and Exploder

The best way to learn to play as an Exploder or Trader is to open a single player game filling it with bots. There is an AI script in the map, just set the remaining slots to Computer (whatever). The bots arent that great, but they will make it. Start your trade as the Trader, read the tooltips and see if you like it. A speed upgrade is normally the first item to purchase. As an Exploder, get a small explosive in your base, then the Exploder Tank. Dont forget to skill your teleport. Everything else will be more or less self explaining.

2 The "dont get three" rule

Buying a second weapon of the sort you just bought is a good idea. It will improve your dealt Damage greatly. But a third weapon of the same type is not a good idea, because it relatively doesnt improve your combat effectiveness that great. Also, you have only six inventory slots, so you should save for better items ar a better Tank instead of it. Example: you started as a Light Tank with a Fireball Cannon. Buying a second Fireball Cannon will nearly double your Damage. A third Fireball Cannon is wasted money, even if you purchased a hull or a new Tank in between. Better save your money and buy a weapon for 3000-5000, depending on how much money you get and how strong your enemies are. There are exceptions from this rule, for example the Bombarding Rockets on the Tinker/Helicopter, but generally you are doing well following this rule.

3 Dont sell Items if you have slots free

Sometimes i see people selling their whole inventory for purchasing any good weapon, the Laser for Example. Don't do it, its never worth it. Only sell a (single) item if you have no free slots left and want to buy a greatly better item. Exceptions are items, which are nearly totally useless, for example a teleporter when you bought an ultimate pack.

4 Sell your Tank

Selling your Tank (-> buying a Tinker for 0 gold) is a good idea if you can buy a better Tank then. You will get half of the money back that you paid for your Tank. Example: You have an Antigrav Tank and want to get a Heavy Tank. The Heavy Tank costs 5500, but you get 750 gold back when you first buy the Tinker, so you really just need 4750 gold. If you buy a new Tank without selling your old one before, you will get the money back after the transfer, so its no problem, but you could have had the new Tank earlier.

5 Dont forget to win

If you see that your team is stronger than the other, you should consider to win. Speak with your teammates, and try to take the control points with two or three Tanks together. If you have captured all the Control Points, start attacking their Base. There are some tactics which will help you greatly doing this:

5.1 Factory

Place a factory in front od their base or even in it, just make sure that you can defend it. Your team can now heal their Tanks much easier and even teleport to this factory.

5.2 Troop Upgrades

If you have some money that you dont really need (you are not saving for a devastating Tank that you will get soon), you should consider to upgrade your troops. This is made in one of the non-weapon shops in your base, and there are two types. Personally i prefer the armor upgrade, because the creep's job is to attract fire from the enemy, making your Tanks able to attack longer and more effectively. The upgrade also gives two troops, you can spawn them anytime you like. This is very useful to take out the two Laser Towers at the sides of the base.

5.3 Siege Pack

Also to be bought in your base, the Siege Pack is the right choice if your enemies use Tinkers to defend the base. it spawns three mortar teams which do nice damage to buildings, and it has an aura making the enemie's building more vulnarable

5.4 Dont save too much

Your team has the advantage, use it. If you have two inventory slots free and respawn in your base having 3000-5000 gold, buy a gun, even if its less strong than other weapons in your inventory. You will slightly increase your teams advantage and will more likely storm their base. Also, you dont need to have any gold after the game, and ending the game is your aim in this situation.

I hope this helps you guys, maybe i will make up this tutorial when i got some time and ideas, mods should feel free to correct mistakes or update it on the coming version.
very nice tutWink
DerSatan Wrote:2 The "dont get three" rule

Buying a second weapon of the sort you just bought is a good idea. It will improve your dealt Damage greatly. But a third weapon of the same type is not a good idea, because it relatively doesnt improve your combat effectiveness that great. Also, you have only six inventory slots, so you should save for better items ar a better Tank instead of it. Example: you started as a Light Tank with a Fireball Cannon. Buying a second Fireball Cannon will nearly double your Damage. A third Fireball Cannon is wasted money, even if you purchased a hull or a new Tank in between. Better save your money and buy a weapon for 3000-5000, depending on how much money you get and how strong your enemies are. There are exceptions from this rule, for example the Bombarding Rockets on the Tinker/Helicopter, but generally you are doing well following this rule.

I think this is not quite right. I usually start with Helicopter and buy first items to buy is 4 Basic Magic with upgrades. Only then I buy Steel Hull and then Fear Magic.
May be this is told exception, but Helicopter with only two Basic Magics is not so effective as with four of them. You should say that I must buy a weapon for 2000-3000 gold, but there no weapon for such price with range 1000(this range is critical for me against those with 950 range, because of some tactics I use:)).

But, as a practice says, this case is not unique. In most cases buying 3 or even 4 weapons of the same type greatly increases your damage. May be this damage increment is not so big in bare numbers(you get ~50% for 3rd weapon and ~33% for 4th weapon regardless of skill cannon damage), but having up-to-dated weapons in your inventory makes you very dangerous target. When your enemies are trying to collect enough money for great and expensive weapon you easily kill them and earn money just because they are a bit behind you in upgrades.

All I want to say is collecting large sums of money is much more risky business than it is considered. In that short period between you've bought third weapon and your enemy bought great weapon(for example it costs twice more than each of two weapons, that already were in inventory) you can earn enough money to obtain that great weapon with your enemy at th e same moment. The difference is that you'll have additional third weapon in your pocket.

Please, tell me if I am wrong.
Doesn't this beginners tactics belong to Strategien & Taktiken forum?
TKF Wrote:Doesn't this beginners tactics belong to Strategien & Taktiken forum?
What do you mean?
I meant that this topic maybe is suited better for the Strategien & Taktiken.

_______

sry! I didn't think properly earlier but this topic do fits in Help and FAQ

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Goblin Shredder: A Manly Man's Guide To Breaking Sh*t TheRealMcbanhammer 5 9,549 2010-12-30, 21:01:05
Last Post: RaptorXI
  [Guide]Ultra Starter's Handbook to Battle Tanks Keiser 7 25,372 2010-05-13, 21:30:31
Last Post: AGGInator
  Noob Guide Kokolores 21 21,273 2010-01-14, 04:31:11
Last Post: Sup3rNovA
  Capturing Capture Points Efficiently (Basic Guide) LolCakeLazors 12 9,078 2009-05-11, 02:07:35
Last Post: GooglyBoogly
  New Player Here fluffstalker 11 7,700 2007-12-13, 15:41:30
Last Post: ycoseth