Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AFK counter vs kick system with less players / re-kick timer / multi-afk
First, this is not another thread of me telling you how the current kick system fails (though, I still think so, and the number of destroyed games because of this increases all the time, but, whatever)

Second, if you feel this is the wrong forum, just move it please. Wasn't sure if this could be considered a bug?

---- BUG REPORT --->

1. Due to how the math behind the kick system works you need to be afk longer to be kickable when there are less players. With 5 players 5 minutes are needed (which is way to long imho, normally you already lost after about 2:30 afk at start of game, maybe it should depend on when you're afk if you really want to keep this strange kick system), with 4 players > 7 minutes are needed, and with 3 players I don't know, but it's more than 10 minutes. I don't think this is intended, which makes it a bug imho.

2. I recently saw that the kick system has some kind of cool-off when you kick someone. Thing is, the cool off increases no matter if you're successful with kicking or not, and independent of the reason. So if I try to kick someone for being 5 minutes afk at start of the game, and it doesn't go through (most of the time because someone is in an intense dogfight), I'll have to wait 60 secs to retry. Even if the kick goes through afterwards, it's up to 120 seconds, and if someone starts fucking up the game then, you'll have to wait 2 minutes till you can kick him. If the kick doesn'T goe through the second time either, it's already 240 seconds - that's 4 minutes, which is like an eternity in btanks.

3. When there are 2 people afk in the game, you also have to wait the > 7 minutes till you can kick at least one of them, and then due to the cool-off it's at least another minute. Normally I'd prefer to just tell the enemy team that player x is afk for more than 2 mins already, start the kick vote, and have them vote as well if needed.

Best Regards
Getting used to the Sand everywhere. At least it brings us map updates.
Everything is working as intended, so I moved the thread to feedback.

The way the cooldown of the kick-command works is intended that way. As you would think, it's designed to discourage spamming the kick command.

But I do admit that the afk system is not optimal. In fact, I was already thinking of ways on how to improve it (I'm not only talking about reducing the time for that). So there will be a change in the next version, I just haven't figured out all the details yet. It's a goal of mine to not also detect afk players, but also players that commit to denial of playing. It's not going to be perfect, for sure, but I think it's possible to detect certain behaviors. Since afk is the most extreme form of denial of playing, it's going to be detected the fastest and will lead to faster penalty points, than it does now.

That being said, the fact that it is more difficult to kick, when you have less players in the team will remain the same. Since every single player is more important the less players there are in a team, the cases where you would be able to kick should be more ... extreme. I know that you are not agreeing with this (since people tend to abuse this fact), but I think it's preferable to free kicking all the time.
This post has been brought to you by Sand - it's everywhere, get used to it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The new bounty and spree system Wupti 15 14,253 2014-06-12, 05:45:00
Last Post: GodStrongArms
  New players are kicked from the game goranie 7 6,326 2014-03-30, 07:54:03
Last Post: Max
  Explosives and kick penalty ichwillrotsein 2 3,276 2013-01-21, 00:14:59
Last Post: warrior_cobra
  5 min kick starting afker issue, it was 3 min before AeroniumX 0 1,941 2013-01-06, 01:18:25
Last Post: AeroniumX
  kick system LoveComesAgain 53 34,497 2012-10-22, 04:33:19
Last Post: UnifiedDoom