Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Team Balance and Game Mechanics
Okay so, the most pressing problem ruining battle tanks today is that the game is influenced far more by the actions of noobs than players with skill. Players that feed and lack even a basic sense of gameplay (when to defend, when to run, etc.) completely ruin the game by giving the opposing team tons of money and experience. For example, if you have a game with 10 players, 9 of which are skilled and 1 of which is noob and feeds, the noob is BY FAR, the most important indicator for who will win (whoever is playing against him). This needs to change ASAP and I have 4 solutions:

Solution #1:
Modify the league beta stats so that you can keep track of a player's score independent of leaving (right now, whenever you are counted as leaving a game, be it bad internet, server split, w/e, you instantly drop like 200+ positions). This score, whether you post it or not, is what we can refer to as your "skill score" (just W:L weighted against other player's scores). Use the "skill score" as the primary metric for balancing teams during the player shuffle. Right now, even in league beta (not just qualify) at least 1 out of every 2 games is ruined b/c of an imbalance of feeders. 1 or 2 feeders are enough, esp if the other team has none. It doesn't matter if they leave 20+ minutes in, because the damage has been done.

Solution #2:
Implement a player swap like dota has for balancing purposes.

Solution #3:
Fix votekick asap - this is an essential mechanism that needs to be more flexible than the precondition of afk.

Solution #4 (Most important solution):
PENALIZE PLAYERS FOR DYING. If you die, you should lose money, unless you are an exploder or if the majority of your weapons are explosion packs. There's no better way to make players accountable for their actions than to reward skill and punish noobery. If you die, you should lose money, plain and simple. The amount could be something like 25-50% of your bounty.

Please stop ruining this map, it's steadily been going downhill.

Thank you,
-x
Quote:Please stop ruining this map, it's steadily been going downhill.
Should have read that sentence first, then i would spare any answer to you

xenocide85 Wrote:Solution #1:
Modify the league beta stats so that you can keep track of a player's score independent of leaving (right now, whenever you are counted as leaving a game, be it bad internet, server split, w/e, you instantly drop like 200+ positions). This score, whether you post it or not, is what we can refer to as your "skill score" (just W:L weighted against other player's scores). Use the "skill score" as the primary metric for balancing teams during the player shuffle. Right now, even in league beta (not just qualify) at least 1 out of every 2 games is ruined b/c of an imbalance of feeders. 1 or 2 feeders are enough, esp if the other team has none. It doesn't matter if they leave 20+ minutes in, because the damage has been done.

Balance is working that way - it's using ELO-ratings not points.

Quote:Solution #2:
Implement a player swap like dota has for balancing purposes.
Not possible without rewriting BT almost completly from scratch.

Quote:Solution #3:
Fix votekick asap - this is an essential mechanism that needs to be more flexible than the precondition of afk.
working on that issue
Marvin Wrote:The first ten million years were the worst and the second ten million years, they were the worst too. The third ten million years I didn't enjoy at all. After that I went into a bit of a decline
I'm very surprised to learn that the balance works that way already. I'm quite serious when I say that 50-75% of the games I play have extremely imbalanced teams. Perhaps the algorithm still needs to be tweaked.

I'd also like to hear what you have to say about suggestion #4.

And it's true, the map has gotten worse... I don't know why you would let that prohibit you from responding...
xenocide85 Wrote:Solution #4 (Most important solution):
PENALIZE PLAYERS FOR DYING. If you die, you should lose money, unless you are an exploder or if the majority of your weapons are explosion packs. There's no better way to make players accountable for their actions than to reward skill and punish noobery. If you die, you should lose money, plain and simple. The amount could be something like 25-50% of your bounty.

i like ur idea how to handle the goldloss when dieing. a bounty depending system would be nice.

on the one hand many ppl would play harder to die not so often, but on the other hand it would cause more camping, mining, longrange or mass hp gaming.
another effect is that the games lasts longer bec. of the decreased "income".
its annoying to play games with skilled or pros in balanced teams which lasts more then 1 1/5 to 2 hours!
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

StarCraft II: Aggi, Charcode: 110
steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002344056
League of Legends: Agginator
I'm not convinced money loss on death will make the game slower. I think it will make players slightly more cautious, but I also think that it will accelerate momentum and actually speed games along.

For example, a team with 2-3 skilled players working together to constantly gank, covering each other etc., will have many more Ks than Ds, and thereby will continue to gain money. Additionally, the other team will be at a severe disadvantage b/c their income will be slowed, stagnated or reduced to zero. By punishing dying, I think it will actually speed things up. It also makes players more accountable for their actions in general.

At any rate, I think admins should implement it and test it out =D
I think the gold bonus given to the team as a result of a factory loss in base should be doubled when calculating forcegold. The games now lasts 1:30 to 2:00 every game and I think that part should be accelerated somehow. Only a suggestion to make 1 hour SLOW turnaround games to 15 min lose faster games.
You know what games didn't usually last 2 hours... 5k HB =(
could you stop to talk about hb pls? it sucks!
The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

StarCraft II: Aggi, Charcode: 110
steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002344056
League of Legends: Agginator
Quote:xenocide85:
Solution #4 (Most important solution):
noobs wouldnt stop dying if they lose money.
imo player who are annoyed about the game would just feed even more and even if they wont give money thy could be intelligent enough for dying on purpose to give enemy double kills or aynthing like that.
Maybe deaths should not be penalised but a low death score could be rewarded to a higher degree.

As I see it, presently "killers" are being rewarded for tactics that involve:

- seeking kills regardless of their own death score
- frequent kill stealing (or at least deliberately accepting the possibility of kill stealing)
- neglecting their tactical duties (covering of teammates, protection of towers, cps, base, tactically important positions)

This behaviour leads to:
- strengthening opponents (who kill the "killers") inversely proportional to their teammates they are stealing from (or at least denying the possibility to gather bounty)
- unbalancing the teams strength :arrow: some teammates are bound to get "smothered" and in consequence won't be able to farm properly anymore, thus are not able to put up a fight in the meta-/endgame
- strengthening only the players least able/ willing to participate in team efforts

Unfortunately those players (in my experience) are most likely to leave the game if it is not going their way (or rather to go afk) :arrow: devastating defeat

As stated above, in order to encourage teamplay and a more 'careful' play, one should at least consider to reward a low death score more.

In addition to that I'd recomment (if technically possible) a sort of assist system (as I've seen in BS X-fire), maybe even with splitting the bounty in proportion to dmg caused.
hihi,
ah i donno much about how the balancing works, theretically having the best 2 players on opposite teams is good and then the same for the second best and so forth seems fair, but i'm not sure that's how it's turning out. I just finished a game and apart from the best player on there team who had the highest rank the rest on his team were having elo scores of less than 1500, and my team had all scores above 1500 elo except maybe one i think. I might have missed something but is there an error there? I thought it should have gone one with 1400 score then other with 1500 then 1500 and the other with 1400 score and so forth not all less than 1500 on one side and the rest above 1500 on the other? Oh and the thing about feeders, maybe not sure how this works out in practice but maybe the player that feed over a certain amount, kills to deaths ratio or something after a certain point, anyone that tries to keep going after the feeder will get close to nothing for them. This however would suck if entire team feeds then lol wow that idea would fail, zero bounty for entire team lawl.

ok that's all i got. Hope it wasn't too useless ^_^.
Penalizing current gold for dying however would cause players to seek having "0 active gold" at all times since then you could die and not lose anything. Players that die usually buy cp tp (75 gold) and early on thats like 25%-50% of their bounty anyway. A better way to handle it would to just make cp tp cost more as time passes. Somebody suggested earlier that players should be rewarded for not dying, perhaps a kill streak system (increased bounty for every kill made in a row without dying) could be implemented, that however does pose all of the problems that hb posed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts about the Community and the Game cpu 3 5,871 2015-08-12, 22:26:06
Last Post: RaptorXI
  Average game length - options for change Exodus 29 27,378 2015-07-13, 07:33:49
Last Post: BENNIE.FM
  Game impact of sides versus mid Prog 10 11,206 2014-04-17, 21:31:11
Last Post: RaptorXI
  New players are kicked from the game goranie 7 6,208 2014-03-30, 07:54:03
Last Post: Max
  New shield: balance problems RAF_Fenix 1 2,561 2013-01-01, 20:24:06
Last Post: EarthR