Poll: Should Battle Tanks be converted as a custom map within DOTA 2?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
100.00%
8 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revive BattleTanks as custom map in Dota2
Now that Dota 2 provides custom map developer tools and is opening up its community to custom maps, I think it would be great for Battle Tanks to be revived within that context.
The benefits of the large, active community that is Dota 2 are undeniable. And the improvements to the underlying technology would obviously be a boost.
I have no development experience, but know enough that it would take a considerable amount of joint effort to successfully pull this off.  To gauge interest, and to get an idea of what would be involved, I propose the following question to the dwindling ranks of BTanks lovers everywhere before we become extinct:

What would it take to revive Battle Tanks as a custom map within Dota 2?
What would it take?

Someone who does all the work. And it is a lot of work.

People tried to do it in starcraft 2. People tried to do standalone versions. Everyone failed and just faded away. They just underestimate how much work it actually is to create a map as great as battletanks and are not passionate enough to put in the hours.
(2015-07-01, 19:51:02)Prog Wrote: What would it take?

Someone who does all the work. And it is a lot of work.

People tried to do it in starcraft 2. People tried to do standalone versions. Everyone failed and just faded away. They just underestimate how much work it actually is to create a map as great as battletanks and are not passionate enough to put in the hours.

Indeed Battle tanks may be one of the most unique custom maps ever created and never discovered its true potential it would take so many man hours.
Cat power < needs to be implemented into btSmile
Accounts are : , Imba_Kitten, DJ.FM,BENNIE.FM
Prog and Bennie.FM, I anticipated replies such as yours.  Such pessimism is unfortunately warranted. I also did expect for a number of people to respond enthusiastically, though I realized that those responses would represent an idealism that doesn't actually accomplish anything. I'm sure that would have been the case had these forums been more active.

It is a frustrating reality that good games like Battle Tanks get relegated with no real chance to get the development and exposure that they 'deserve', while so many crappy games get cranked-out by companies hopeful for a profit.

I think it is possible that at some point in future some company will have the good sense to develop a new game based on BT.  They'll figure out a way to monetize the development so that it doesn't rely on a select few sacrificing their lives for little to no gain.  Just like the movie industry looks to existing franchises for series reboots, etc, I think some game development company will recognize BT as a proven concept worthy of revival.

That is my hope, anyway.
There is this Website called Kickstarter. You could easily get loads of money of you Start a campaign for the game as free to play. You could also write a concept to game developmers like petroglyph games (i met them at the Gamescom, responsible for grey goo and now searching a new concept). Or you could do both. 
(2015-07-19, 08:12:32)RikonVan Wrote: There is this Website called Kickstarter. You could easily get loads of money of you Start a campaign for the game as free to play. You could also write a concept to game developmers like petroglyph games (i met them at the Gamescom, responsible for grey goo and now searching a new concept). Or you could do both. 

Good ideas. Thanks for the feedback.  I'll go check out Petroglyph.
Watch out guys.... many DotA2 promoters around. I was spammed to make a rlease of civ wars for it.
(2015-07-20, 17:14:36)RaptorXI Wrote: Watch out guys.... many DotA2 promoters around. I was spammed to make a rlease of civ wars for it.

Watch out?  Hmm.  While I like DOTA 2, what I'm doing here is trying to promote BT.  I've loved BT from the beginning, and I think it would be great to keep it alive and relevant.  Remaking BT as a DOTA 2 custom map just seems like our best option for doing that.

I never play BT w/ people anymore 'cause there aren't enough people playing to get a game going when I can play.   The only way I play BT these days is just zoning out against bots while I listen to music.  The DOTA 2 community has over 11 million unique players active.  I want BT to tap into that space and come alive again.
As long as Dota 2 is popular, of course BT could be a popular game. But the forum team here is inactive (Bennie is the last one who i see taking care about the ban section), so will you be the one who takes the lead?
After following the hype about Starcraft 2 i don't believe anymore that someone will put the effort into re-creating this game for another platform or even make an indepent game.
(2015-07-25, 19:38:15)RaptorXI Wrote: As long as Dota 2 is popular, of course BT could be a popular game. But the forum team here is inactive (Bennie is the last one who i see taking care about the ban section), so will you be the one who takes the lead?
After following the hype about Starcraft 2 i don't believe anymore that someone will put the effort into re-creating this game for another platform or even make an indepent game.

I would like to say I could spearhead the whole effort and do the bulk of the work, but the reality is that I don't have the experience or skills to pull such a thing off.  I actually have a lot of free time, but if I had the ability to make a new BT game I would probably have a job and therefore no time.  Starting from scratch as I am, I imagine I would need extreme dedication and 6 months or so just to start learning the creation tools well enough to begin making a basic functioning game.  My programming experience is ancient (BASIC in the mid 80s and Turbo Pascal in the early 90s), and I've got zero experience making games.

I understand that this sort of thing is a huge undertaking and that everyone is jaded after the failure of the Starcraft 2 effort ... but at the same time I know that there are people who are putting a lot of time into making custom games using the DOTA 2 tools.  I would rather have some of them focus on a BT remake than perhaps waste their effort on some less compelling concept.

I'm not really into forums (I only joined this forum after I pretty much stopped playing BT, and you can see that I haven't been active here before now), but it occurs to me that  I should be trying to stir the interest of developers active on the Dota 2 forum.  The only problem there is that none of us wants to have some tryhard that is unfamiliar w/ BT to go ahead and make a lousy version of it.  I guess that is why I was hoping a grass-roots effort could begin here.
it wasn't only the trials of going SC2, we've had a couple of other project leaders trying to implement the game onto other systems and engines. it would just take a lot of time, and as before, keep in mind the custom map was released years ago when even Nazghul/Bob666 was just in school and now everyone of the team has joined the "real life sucks" team.

if you actually want to provide some insight for the time management needed to plan a remake on a plattform such as Dota2, it would be a great help if you could actually provide some informations, possibly some little mod as well as some general informations about how players are able to join specific games and possibly the usage of third party tools such as bots which are used for hosting and getting informations for the league.

BT is just way more than just a Custom Map in WC3.

btw, the team is still somewhat active but nobody notices since the lack of players joining our IRC channel. it's been around since earlier versions and we still meet up discussing issues at hand or possible ports to other systems. get yourself some app like mIRC, join the channel, stay around all day long and we'll be happy to greet you.
Not yet totally dead, you can find the Team and possibly new and old Players on our new Discord Server. Join by this Instant Invite: https://discord.gg/FbbGbHj
(2015-08-03, 22:09:42)Saiyuki Wrote: it wasn't only the trials of going SC2, we've had a couple of other project leaders trying to implement the game onto other systems and engines. it would just take a lot of time, and as before, keep in mind the custom map was released years ago when even Nazghul/Bob666 was just in school and now everyone of the team has joined the "real life sucks" team.

if you actually want to provide some insight for the time management needed to plan a remake on a plattform such as Dota2, it would be a great help if you could actually provide some informations, possibly some little mod as well as some general informations about how players are able to join specific games and possibly the usage of third party tools such as bots which are used for hosting and getting informations for the league.

BT is just way more than just a Custom Map in WC3.

btw, the team is still somewhat active but nobody notices since the lack of players joining our IRC channel. it's been around since earlier versions and we still meet up discussing issues at hand or possible ports to other systems. get yourself some app like mIRC, join the channel, stay around all day long and we'll be happy to greet you.

Thanks for the reply and IRC info/invite.
So... its been 2 month since last comment in this thread, is some 1 doing this project?
I would like to support u guys, but i dont know how.
And btw i like the idea 1 guy said about kickstarter.
Fraudstercrew a Black Hat forum based on black Hat hacking and general Resources We are a great place to receive help and meet new friends. black hat forum

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Custom BattleTank Map iregenbogen 1 2,760 2017-06-21, 19:57:09
Last Post: Saiyuki
  Revive BT? saspect 3 4,118 2014-04-14, 23:42:47
Last Post: saspect
  Update the battletanks wiki page please Teo_live 0 1,771 2011-09-16, 16:16:11
Last Post: Teo_live
  Custom mode alternative - No CPTP mode TKF 24 13,342 2009-06-29, 10:28:51
Last Post: Doomhammer112
  Level 5 Creeps/Hero Custom Option GooglyBoogly 2 2,593 2009-03-13, 16:19:57
Last Post: Dr.McNinja